Sneezing and ruffled feathers. Vet time?

Eggmaker12

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
I have two 4 1/2 week old chicks. A light Brahma and a barred rock. They both have what I think is ruffled feathers and are sneezing. I do have vetrx and I am doing that 2 times a day. They are eating and drinking and pretty active. I have an appointment with the vet on Saturday but is there anything I can try to avoid the vet??
0DD6BFB9-6033-4895-A0A5-25382E05F191.jpeg
681AFB29-573D-494E-AA3B-7DE2B5A64DA2.jpeg

Last edited:
Do they have a heat source? Do you have pictures of them? Chicks periodically sneeze for no apparent reason just like people do. Are yours sneezing more than 3-5 times a day? Are their feathers rumpled all the time or just when they are resting?

Do they have a heat source? Do you have pictures of them? Chicks periodically sneeze for no apparent reason just like people do. Are yours sneezing more than 3-5 times a day? Are their feathers rumpled all the time or just when they are resting?
I just added 2 photos. They do have a heat source as well as shade. I was just with them for 30 minutes and only 1 sneezed. I wouldn’t say it is constant. Mostly when they are lying the feathers are all out. I’m new to this and hopefully just over reacting.

They look fine to me. Unless they spend most of their time standing with their head down, wings droopy, and feathers puffed up, I wouldn't be worried. I totally get it though! Having chicks can be stressful!

I don't think you need to worry. I toootally understand stressing over new chicks, they probably just get a bit cold when they're out. I remember when mine were babies I knew it would be time to take them back to the brooder when they started sneezing. As for the feathers, they're probably just growing in and spacing out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom