sneezing and snotty beaks

only a few, action normal, i see a few yellow-brown frothy droppings sometimes. they are 11 days old now. is this a disease? how should i treat it?

I'm sorry...new chickie mama here, but don't give up. Someone with more knowledge will answer!
fl.gif

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Some white leghorns, isa browns, 11 days old. Fit in hand
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Normal.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 4-5 days approx. maybe less.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Only 5 or 7 out of 30
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No. all good condition
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No..
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eating, drinking organic chick starter and well water
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. mostly normal, the odd dropping yellow-brown and frothy
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None, I need to know.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I want to know what I can do myself, and when to draw the line for a vet.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Sorry,
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. big cardboard box, pine shavings.

No. Chickens do not catch colds like humans do and they can't catch your cold or flu. They get diseases like Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD)/mycoplasmosis, which usually leave them carriers, able to infect other birds, even when their symptoms are gone. You can treat, but you are only treating the symptoms--that doesn't prevent them from remaining carriers, which is why most breeders and long time chicken keepers euthanize at the first sign of contagious respiratory illness.

Snot (providing you mean actual snot and not plain clear discharge) is usually a sign of CRD and not normal for a chicken. There are other diseases as well, like Coryza, but that usually has a horrible smell to it. We cannot diagnose it with 100% certainty over the net, though. You'd need testing for that.

At their age, sounds like they may have been hatched from a carrier flock since CRD can be passed down through the egg. Where did you get them?

Check out this diseases/symptoms chart:

http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp

got them from local feed store, who ordered them from Rochester Hatchery in alberta. it is just plain clear discharge. one is wheezing with raspy breath.

Back
Top Bottom