Sneezing biddies

Fireflylane

Chirping
Jun 17, 2018
Hubert, North Carolina
Ok so to start I had 12 biddies that are fully feathered or at least close to it .I live in north Carolina and with hurricance Florence coming straight for where i live the biddies got moved into the chicken coop which was re enforced to prevent drafts and as little collection of water as possible .The coop is big enough that i can get in it to clean it and i use pine shavings on the floor for bedding incase anyone wants to sleep down there instead of roost. I also have 12 other grown chickens who live in this coop. The storm hit us head on and it was bad and brought alot of cold rain .all my chickens and ducks and dogs made it through .Myself and the dogs and my 1 week old duckings stayed in the campet while everyone else was locked up. 2 days pass and the wind died down enough i could get out and let the flock out of the coop. Everyone was fed and watered every single day at least once if i could stand the winds twive like normal then. 2 days after they went back to free ranging i notice my one biddie sneezing alot and opening her mouth to breathe .Nothing is swollen no discharge anyway from eyes mouth or nose. Still eating and drinking and playing normal just with a sneeze and congestion sound .the next day i went out and found 3 of my babys dead. 2 of them never even gave me a sign they were sick. All 3 had a little bit of blood coming out of their eyes and full crops. I checked them over to see if there was any smell or discharge anywhere and found nothing. Immediately i scoops up the last 9 and put them back in the small brooder and brought them inside with water that has vitamins in it hoping to help strengthen their system some so no more will die. Well that worked but that didnt fix it. I brought the biddies outside to play in my big brooder and they all escaped so iilet them be .Since they want to be outside with everyone else i decided to take action and put a heat lamp in the coop with them same old pine shavings (it has been cleaned) and the rest of the flock. Everyday they still free range and i watch them and make sure they are all eating and drinking which they are. 1 biddie sneezes here and there but he looks like he doesnt feel good. Still running and playing and taking dirt baths. I have read almost every article on here and the links people have posted with the types of respiratory diseases and other illnesses that could be affecting them and the only thing they have is the sneezing/congestion sounding thing. Zero discharge. Zero smell. Zero loss of appetite. None are legarthic. No swelling. Im so lost and confused as to what is going on and i have spent the last 2 days since i got cell phone service trying to figure it out. Please anyone have any tips or advice?

You could be dealing with a virus or bacterial respiratory disease that wild birds or your older chickens passed on as carriers. Or there might be a fungal infection from the rain causing problems. If you lose another bird, you probably should send it in for a necropsy to your state poultry lab to see what they have. Frequent sneezing can be a sign of infectious bronchitis virus. If you have had birds before with sneezing, they could have picked up the cirus from a carrier. Look at dust or mold, or other environmental problem. Provide good ventilation. Viruses and fungal diseases do no respond to antibiotics, but MG will. Tylan 50 injectable can be given orally to treat MG. Dosage is 0.3 ml given orally 2-3 times a day for 5 days. Here is a good link to read about respiratory diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

You could be dealing with a virus or bacterial respiratory disease that wild birds or your older chickens passed on as carriers. Or there might be a fungal infection from the rain causing problems. If you lose another bird, you probably should send it in for a necropsy to your state poultry lab to see what they have. Frequent sneezing can be a sign of infectious bronchitis virus. If you have had birds before with sneezing, they could have picked up the cirus from a carrier. Look at dust or mold, or other environmental problem. Provide good ventilation. Viruses and fungal diseases do no respond to antibiotics, but MG will. Tylan 50 injectable can be given orally to treat MG. Dosage is 0.3 ml given orally 2-3 times a day for 5 days. Here is a good link to read about respiratory diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Thank you i have read that entire link looking for clues of what else it could be. Maybe the rain brought something im really not sure .once i can i will get them something to hopefully help if anymore pass away i will contact the state poultry disease center and see if they can help. Ive been out of work since the end of june due to a car accident so money is tight but i will see what i can do. Thank you

Sorry about your accident and personal problems, hopefully things get better. I understand about not being able to pay for a necropsy. It is less expensive in some states and high in others. Aspergillosis from mold during rainy conditions can be common. But with sneezing, if it is every few minutes, infectious bronchitis is a possibility. Here is a good link with contact info for state poultry labs, just in case:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom