Sneezing chick!

Erin Valerie

In the Brooder
May 29, 2017
Hi everyone, hoping someone might be able to give me some advice!

I just discovered one of my little cochin chicks sneezing. I checked her nostrils and couldn't see anything stuck in there. She's sneezing quite a bit and sounds congested. It's possible there's a little clear liquid (it would be watery not thick) coming out of her nostrils, too, as one of the other chicks seemed interested. I didn't notice any foul smell or discoloration. She'll sneeze several times in a row, and continues to do so while dozing off to sleep as well. Trying to think of how to describe it and before/after sneezing, she sounds a bit like a human would when trying to breathe through a stuffy nose :hmm.

Just noticed this today after everyone seeming healthy and happy since we brought them home one-two weeks ago. I have six chicks, three different breeds, ranging from 1.5 weeks to 3. And I think I just heard one of the other chicks have a tiny sneeze, too! Yikes!!

I already gave them half a hardboiled egg and they went nuts over it. They're all still eating/drinking normally other than the one (possibly two now) that's acting normal, eating/drinking as normal, but also sneezing.

I'm not sure what to do! I have sea salt for water and also greek yogurt. I think we have apple cider vinegar, too, although not the raw kind with the mother.

Is there anything I should do? Any other home remedies I might try? Should I wait it out and think of this as something like a children's cold? Or should I try to find a medicine/ antibiotic? I'm not sure we have the same variety over here in Europe so I'm not super sure about available probiotics and electrolytes, etc.

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who might have any ideas or advice. I'm growing attached to these little ones and don't want to fail them!

I had this issue when I added a last chick to my flock about a week after I got the first six.

I put 30 drops of grapefruit seed extract in a gallon of water every day for two weeks. This was the only water they had access to.

I gave them free choice dill, thyme, and basil with chopped garlic in a separate dish.

We put vetrx under wings and a dab on their heads until the worst of the congestion was gone.

Sadly the chick who brought the illness didn't make it, but the 6 older chicks did.

Based on symptoms I think it was infectious bronchitis but don't know for sure. Since I think this is the case I am not allowing any new additions until my flock has been healthy for a year.

I hope everyone gets better!

Back
Top Bottom