Sneezing chick

Mar 31, 2018
One of my chicks (1 week old), I think the araucana, was sneezing a lot for a few minutes and then it stopped and haven’t heard it since then. Also, I was cleaning their cage and found some diarrhea. I haven’t found any more since yesterday. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me if she has any disease or if I need to separate her or if it’s just a one and done type of thing. I also have read that sneezing could be from dust being kicked around, but I don’t know what the diarrhea is from or if it should be a concern. Also, she has been eating and drinking normally.

I would say that the sneezing is just most likely due to dust in the feed or the chick shavings. There can be a lot of fluid in chick poo. Keep an eye on the chick for any behavior such as lethargy, not eating, or weakness. As long as it is perky and eating, it is probably fine.

It sounds like it's environmental to me, like you mentioned. Or she couldve inhaled a tiny feed granule while eating which would cause sneezing.
If it were a disease, she wouldnt be eating or drinking normally and most likely be on death's door.
As far as the diarrhea goes, it happens occasionally. If it's constant, then there's a problem. It could be from drinking alot of water, especially if the brooder it too warm.
Feed her chick starter feed only, no treats.

Back
Top Bottom