Sneezing? Chicken

Jen_naay

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Hi - just got a young hen and she has been (what sounds like) sneezing every few minutes. Almost like a congested sound. Is there anything I can do for her? What could this be? She’s completely fine otherwise.

I think chickens sneeze when they got stuff stuck in their beak, like dust, or tiny bits of their feed. It can sometimes mean they're sick, but if she has no other symptoms and is eating/drinking fine, you shouldn't need to worry too much. I could be wrong about that, but for now you should keep an eye on her.

How old is she and what type of place did she come from? Do you see any bubbles or foam in an eye or nasal drainage that is collecting dirt? Is there any swelling around an eye or the face? If sneezing is the only symptom, watch her, and keep her quarantined from other chickens. Infectious bronchitis virus could be a possibility, or it may be from an environmental issue such as dust, mold, or pollen. IBV or another respiratory disease can make carriers of chickens.

Hi - just got a young hen and she has been (what sounds like) sneezing every few minutes. Almost like a congested sound. Is there anything I can do for her? What could this be? She’s completely fine otherwise.
Hard to diagnose from one sneeze, but just in case keep water close by the food so she can drink and eat. If you suspect respiratory illness, visit the coop at night when they are roosting, listen for sounds of labored breathing. Thats how I find the ones that need checkups anyway.

Back
Top Bottom