Sneezing Chickens

ChickensnBoys

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Got some 1 year old chickens a week ago. There was an existing coop in our place. Dirt floor, plenty of next boxes, half sunshine, half sheltered. We live in south fl so its nice and warm. Our chickens are great layers. We get an egg from each chicken every day so far. Today one of our chickens started sneezing. Started reading and freaked out a bit. Is it dangerous for her? Contagious to us? (I have four small boys) and lastly….we've been eating her eggs. Can we get sick from her eggs if she is sick???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Got some 1 year old chickens a week ago. There was an existing coop in our place. Dirt floor, plenty of next boxes, half sunshine, half sheltered. We live in south fl so its nice and warm. Our chickens are great layers. We get an egg from each chicken every day so far. Today one of our chickens started sneezing. Started reading and freaked out a bit. Is it dangerous for her? Contagious to us? (I have four small boys) and lastly….we've been eating her eggs. Can we get sick from her eggs if she is sick???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to BYC.
Chickens can sneeze on occasion just like humans. I suspect it most likely is an environmental issue causing your one hen to sneeze. Causes could be inhalation of feed dust while she's eating, perhaps she may have inhaled a feed granule, ammonia fumes in soiled bedding can cause sneezing due to poor ventilation, dust from a dust bath, pollen, pesticide use etc...all of these can cause sneezing and can be corrected or eliminated.
Poultry respiratory diseases can cause sneezing, however there are normally other symptoms; facial swelling, bubbly eyes, runny nostrils, head shaking, wheezing, gurgling. Sick birds slack off or stop eating, drinking, laying eggs. Respiratory diseases are very easily spread from chicken to chicken.
Poultry respiratory diseases are not transmittable to humans and eggs are safe to eat, IF they are able to lay eggs. However if antibiotics are given to sick chickens, there's usually an egg withdrawal period due to antibiotic residue in the eggs and eggs should be tossed in the garbage until the withdrawal period has been completed.

Antibiotic residue??!!! Holy smokes. Valuable information. Thank you so much!!! I don't see any other symptoms with her yet. I'll wait it out and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom