Sneezing chicks and momma

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbreak, Dec 28, 2011.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    My 8 week old chicks and momma been sneezing. They all look healthy and act fine. Is it just a cold? Is that common? Do I need to do anything? Today was the first day I let them out for about an hour to free range. I haven't let them out with the older chickens. They are in a separate pen with the runs next to each other. I have seen some of the others sneeze some but not as much as these.

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

mine sneeze to. idk y. i put apple cider vinager in there water. and they seem ok now. i heard birds cant get colds. idk if thats true or not. but keep an eye on them

3. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Quote:Thank you !!
    How much do I add to the 1 gallon waterer?

4. stephanie1992

like 3 or 4 tea spoons full. i use a little rabbit bottle and only use one tea spoon. u dont want it to strong or the chickens dont like it. good luck. let me know how they do

5. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Where do I get the apple cider vinegar? Is there a certain kind or brand?

6. stephanie1992

u can get it at any food store. i dont think brand matters. mines store brand. some like the kind with a fungus called mother. but i cant ever find that kind and i found it once and never saw a difference in the two. the cider vinager is good for the birds. keeps them healthy. i put a little in all my chickens waterers everyday. my store keeps it in the cooking section but i think u can find it in the health foods section or u can ask a store clerk

7. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    You can get apple cider vinegar at any grocery store. I use 1 tablespoon to a gallon for my birds.

8. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Can I put it in the waterer for all my chickens? Should I put it in the waterers for the babies(2weeks-4 weeks). I won't hurt them. i am also goona put down new pine shavings and DE. Trying to dry out the ground. Does that sound ok to do that ?

9. stephanie1992

Quote:yup sounds good. i put some in my day old chicks water. so its safe. wont hurt them. and u can put it in all ur chickens water. cant hurt.

10. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Bragg apple cider vinegar has the "mother" in it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by