Sneezing congested chicken plz help

Byrd gal

Songster
Dec 31, 2020
Sw ohio
My 3 yr old is sneezing and sounds congested. I have 500 fish mox but nothing else on hand. Please advise how to help her she is a very gentle loveable bird. Should I take her from the flock? They did get wet and we had a temp drop but it wasn't below 40. She is eating and drinking for now poop seems ok too. I gave her vet rx and she pooped on me as a thanks. No eye discharge. No new birds.

@Wyorp Rock, @Eggcessive, @NatJ, or @azygous should be able to help.

Separate her from the flock, give her food and water. The experts should help with the rest.

Sorry, I can't really help. What @All4Eggz said is about as much as I know.
The only times I've had hens sneezing, it wasn't bad, and I didn't do anything (they got over it in time.)

Reasons to separate:
--keeps the other chickens from bullying the one who's not feeling well
--easy to see if the hen is eating, drinking, pooping
--easy to catch the hen to examine her or treat her

Reasons not to separate:
--stressful for the hen (if she was not being bullied)
--nuisance of setting up another pen (wire dog crates can work well.)

Reasons that separating makes no difference:
--the other chickens have already been exposed to whatever she has or wherever she got it, so separating her now will not help keep the other ones healthy.

Ok thinking of not using fish mox I haven't seen much here matching symptoms as much as tylan 50. Now I only can get it as injectable and I cant do that!! Can I give it orally? Anyone know or is it a different kind.

I would not use amoxicillin, as it is not the best for treating mycoplasma gallisepticum. Some respiratory diseases are viral or fungal which antibiotics do not treat. MG can be treated with Tylan 50 given orally. But unless you see bubbles in the eye or eyelid swelling, that doesn’t sound like MG. Just continue to watch her and make sure that she is eating and drinking. Make sure that the coop and run are dry, no ammonia odors, and that overhead ventilation is good.

Ok thinking of not using fish mox I haven't seen much here matching symptoms as much as tylan 50. Now I only can get it as injectable and I cant do that!! Can I give it orally? Anyone know or is it a different kind.
I have two grandkids that had bronchitis recently could they have caught it? Seems a long shot but the kids love up on them.

I have two grandkids that had bronchitis recently could they have caught it? Seems a long shot but the kids love up on them.
No, most respiratory diseases do not pass from humans to chickens or vice versa. Chickens get a few viruses, such as infectious bronchitis, and can get bacterial or mycoplasma disease, as well as fungal diseases from molds. Here is a good link about common diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044

I would not use amoxicillin, as it is not the best for treating mycoplasma gallisepticum. Some respiratory diseases are viral or fungal which antibiotics do not treat. MG can be treated with Tylan 50 given orally. But unless you see bubbles in the eye or eyelid swelling, that doesn’t sound like MG. Just continue to watch her and make sure that she is eating and drinking. Make sure that the coop and run are dry, no ammonia odors, and that overhead ventilation is good.
Thank you. No eye bubbles or nose discharge. It is really wet here may have mold somewhere. If it stops raining long enough I will pull everything out and check under the nest boxes and roosts for leaks. Thank you again for the advice.you are amazing in both kindness and knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom