Sneezing hen

Newfarmer36

Songster
Dec 31, 2017
West Monroe, Louisiana
When we sneeze, it doesn't always mean that we're sick. Is that the same thing with chickens and Ducks? I was in the coop earlier putting new feed in their feeders and straw and their nest boxes. One of my chickens was in there with me. She sneezed 3 or 4 times. Is she sick? Or could the dust that flew up from the feed and straw maybe have gotten into her nostrils?

They will sneeze if there is dust either in feed or in the coop, which in chicken coops, there usually is plenty of with bedding and dander. If you spend some time and the same chicken sneezes or chirps every few minutes for hours, you may dealing with a respiratory disease, such as infectious bronchitis. Then I would look for other signs, such as watery or bubbly eyes or nasal drainage, heavy breathing or gasping. There are a handful of diseases, some viral, some bacterial, and even from fungus and mold.

They will sneeze if there is dust either in feed or in the coop, which in chicken coops, there usually is plenty of with bedding and dander. If you spend some time and the same chicken sneezes or chirps every few minutes for hours, you may dealing with a respiratory disease, such as infectious bronchitis. Then I would look for other signs, such as watery or bubbly eyes or nasal drainage, heavy breathing or gasping. There are a handful of diseases, some viral, some bacterial, and even from fungus and mold.
Thank you. :)

Back
Top Bottom