Sneezing Hen

ChickenToess

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2019
So strange story. I found a chicken in my parking lot at work. I do not work out in the country try either. Anyways she wasnt hard to catch and I lured her in with salt free cashews then she let me grab her. Shes very friendly and I want to integrate her into my flock.
For the moment she is in her own pen across the yard so they can see and talk but not close enough to really interact cause she keeps sneezing. I'm not sure how to fix this I heard probiotics and electrolytes in her water but is that all she needs to get better?
She has a hearty appetite and has gotten comfortable enough to start laying for me now I just need her to feel better. It's been about 2 weeks

Attachments

• 20210720_070725.jpg
    20210720_070725.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210719_103107.jpg
    20210719_103107.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210719_081621.jpg
    20210719_081621.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 10
Do you see any dirt or clear drainage around her nostrils, or bubbles in her eyes? How often is she sneezing? Infectious bronchitis virus is a mild respiratory disease that may cause sneezing every few minutes and mild congestion for about a month. It is contagious, and most survive, but are carriers for 5 months up to a year. It can cause egg shell problems, such as odd or wrinkled shells. Bubbles in the eyes or gunk, can be a more serious disease, MG. Those chickens are carriers for life. They are also more sick, lethargic, and may have more breathing issues.

Be sure to keep her far away for at least a month. If she has bronchitis, she will possibly spread it to your others. If she is only sneezing once in awhile, and especially during eating, she may be fine.

Do you see any dirt or clear drainage around her nostrils, or bubbles in her eyes? How often is she sneezing? Infectious bronchitis virus is a mild respiratory disease that may cause sneezing every few minutes and mild congestion for about a month. It is contagious, and most survive, but are carriers for 5 months up to a year. It can cause egg shell problems, such as odd or wrinkled shells. Bubbles in the eyes or gunk, can be a more serious disease, MG. Those chickens are carriers for life. They are also more sick, lethargic, and may have more breathing issues.

Be sure to keep her far away for at least a month. If she has bronchitis, she will possibly spread it to your others. If she is only sneezing once in awhile, and especially during eating, she may be fine.
I don't see any drainage around her eyes or nostrils. Like I said in my first post shes a pretty normal chicken activity wise and shes a good layer although I'm not eating her eggs right now.
I was sitting with her tonight and she just sneezes every once in awhile. She also makes a weird cough noise that just sounds like shes got something going on.

Respiratory diseases can worsen at night. I would keep observing her to see if the sneezing and cough noise continue. Watch for any eye bubbles or swelling around an eyelid or the face.

So I've been keeping an eye on her. It's just a random cough and sneeze. She doesnt have swelling or anything going on with her eyes but she is snotty. I wiped it away and it was clear aside from the dirt mixed in

Attachments

• 20210801_134652.jpg
    20210801_134652.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 6
Just from the corner of the eye showing some of the swelling of the conjunctiva, I would think that she may well have conjunctivitis and mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Mild MG can seem like infectious bronchitis. Tylosin injectable or powder may be used, as well as Denagard, oxytetracycline, enrofloxacin, or doxycycline, can be used to treat symptoms of MG. Testing would confirm the diagnosis, and that may be done if you can call your state vet, local NPIP, or get a necropsy. A national lab Zoologix can send you materials to do swabs and mail in for testing. MG is a lifelong disease and the survivors are carriers. Here is an article about it:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/def... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Back
Top Bottom