Sneezing hens. Best treatment?

2manyhats

Songster
11 Years
May 18, 2008
Central NY
I've got one coop with some sneezing going on since yesterday. No other symptoms. No sluggish birds. Just 4 or so of 14 sneezing. No discharge. Is there something I should do? Kind of thinking respiratory infection in the early stages.

First thing to check is the ammonia levels at their height. That and/or dust is the main reason for sneezing. I'd give them nothing at all till you account for those two things. Just remember that things like VetRx will not do anything to alleviate the environmental issues that usually cause sneezing. Of all the things NOT to do, antibiotics is the top of the list.

I also have a sneezing chicken. She has been sneezing for three weeks now. I don't think its dust (cuz no other chickens are sneezing) or that she has something in her nose. What could it be? I have been treating her with antibioitcs and it seems to be helping. Why not treat with antibiotics?

Thanks for the advice. Will freshen up the coop. It's a bit yucky. We're in a weird weather time with the thawing and all. I bet that's it.

Back
Top Bottom