Sneezing, No Other Symptoms, Worse Outside

TwinMapleRanch

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
N/W PA
Hi Everyone,
I just got some Silkie chicks shipped to me on Thurs. They are between 2 and 4 weeks old. When I took them out of the shipping box to put them in the quarantine crate, I noticed some of them were sneezing. They were in the shipping box for about 47 hours and they were very stinky by the time they got here, so I thought maybe it was the ammonia odor making them sneeze. After they got settled in and everybody had their fill of food and vitamin/electrolyte water, the sneezing seems to settle down.

Yesterday, I put them in a crate outside so they could get some air and I also gave them a litterbox filled with sand so they could take dust baths and get themselves cleaned up. When I went out to check on them about an hour after I put them out there, I noticed they were sneezing like crazy. One in particular. I proceeded to check everyone out. I cannot find any other symptoms whatsoever. There is absolutely no discharge from nose or eyes, their eyes are all bright and clear. Everyone is eating and drinking just fine. No lethargy, they are all very active. No raspy breathing, or gurgling in their lungs. No wheezing... nothing at all except the sneezing. The "sneeze" reminds me of when a duck puts it's head under water to clear it's nares. Or the "pfff" sound people sometimes make when in disbelief about something. When I brought them back inside for the night, the sneezing settled down again, but it doesn't go away completely.

I did make a short video of the splash that was sneezing the worst yesterday afternoon. Here is the link

Could it be I have chickens with hay fever? It has been a very dry summer here. The grass where I had them has never been treated with any chemicals... at least not since I've been here and that has been 5 years. I didn't notice them sneezing on the ride home from the post office, but they definitely were sneezing as I was taking them out of the box.

I did start them on some Duramycin-10 last night. That is all I had on hand. I'm still not convinced they are "sick", at least not with anything treatable with antibiotics, but on the other hand, I got them started on it right away if they are.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? If the sneezing is the precursor to something else, when should I expect to see other symptoms? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have contacted the breeder, but she is perplexed as well.
idunno.gif

It is confusing considering that it is not constant sneezing. It seems like if they are going to develop any more serious symptoms they would show within a couple days. I guess the best you can do is keep an eye on them and separate from other chickens just as you are doing.

Yes, I agree... It is confusing! Hopefully it will pass and all will be well. I just thought maybe someone had experienced something similar since it has been a dry summer in many parts of the country.

Thanks for the reply!

Hope someone else knows something about this. I have had something similar going on with a few of my birds. Just random sneezing once in a while. Not sure if I should be concerned.
hmm.png

Have you had a dry summer too? I don't know whether that has anything to do with it or not... but I'm hoping that's all it is! Also, I've noticed my dogs are scratching a lot lately and DH & I have been sneezing more than usual too.
idunno.gif
if it's related or not.

I got silkie babies and one of them was sneezing. It didn't have any other symptoms so I kept an eye on it. Then after a few weeks it developed a runny nose and all the babies were shaking their heads and then the little runt started sneezing. Within two days the one that started sneezing first was near death, throwing its head back trying to breathe. I gave them Tylan 50 and they got better, but now the first one to sneeze is back to sneezing again. I know it's contagious because DH was not willing to quarantine more than giving them their own stall in the barn and everyone caught it. Our RIRs did really well on Duramycin, but our white silkie roosters are still not better. I bought the Oxine and that didn't help and I am going to start them on Daragard today. The silkies seem to not be able to handle whatever it is very well. I hope someone on here can help because I have been seeing a lot of posts of people asking about the sneezing and sick birds, but it doesn't seem to match up with any of the respiratory illnesses that I can find on the Internet. Good luck.

Quote:
So, just to make sure I am clear on this, it took several weeks for other symptoms to surface? I have absolutely no intention of putting these babies anywhere near the rest of my flock for at least a month, but maybe I should wait even longer than that?

Thanks for posting what is working and what is not for you. At least I can start looking for some of it, even if I don't buy it yet, I'll know right where to go if I need it in the future.

Good luck getting your flock back to health!!

Quote:

So, just to make sure I am clear on this, it took several weeks for other symptoms to surface? I have absolutely no intention of putting these babies anywhere near the rest of my flock for at least a month, but maybe I should wait even longer than that?

Thanks for posting what is working and what is not for you. At least I can start looking for some of it, even if I don't buy it yet, I'll know right where to go if I need it in the future.

Good luck getting your flock back to health!!
Hi there! I'm dealing with a similar situation now and am scared & perplexed! Although this is an old post, I would really love to know what your outcome was.? Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom