Sneezing, wheezing turkey - please help

BlueMoon

Songster
12 Years
Oct 3, 2007
Scenic Verbank, NY
Our wonderful Bourbon Red Tom started sneezing and wheezing about two weeks ago. We tried Terramyacin (guessing infectious synovitis) for a week with no improvement, then Metronidizol. I think he was too weak at that point and died the next day. (His droppings started a sunshine yellow, at one point Ameraucana shell green, back to yellow, then just watery whitish messes)

I'm most concerned about how to treat the rest of my turkeys, as we have poults hatching and the other Tom is now sneezing too.

Any idea what the problem could be and if it's contagious?

We also have chickens, geese and turkeys and all intermingle through out the free ranging day.

Sorry to hear this. Two things come to mind (sulphur colored droppings). I'd suspect Erysipelas (because of the respiratory symptoms). The only other candidate would be Blackhead (unlikely).

Keep the tom quarrantined and observe strict biosecurity with the poults. You might want to order a bottle of Oxine (expensive but highly effective disinfectant) and clean turkey abode thoroughly.

I'd suggest, heaven forbid, if the other tom dies to know where to get a necroscopy (only way to be sure).

This is a list of common diseases (Erysipelas in list). http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/turkeymanual/ALBCturkey-5.pdf

good
luck!

Well, at the tune of $120, we're having a fecal done on the dead turkey (too dead to do a necropsy - turns out you need to refrigerate birds once they die if you plan to do necropsy) and a culture done on the live one. Results back in 24 - 72 hours.

We're hatching out poults - so I'm thinking about removing all from the hen until we know what the problem is. I hate to do it, just thinking it's the best for them. She's not sneezing, but has been around the two Toms that are/were.

Reallyhoping it's something more simple, like a bad case of Cocciosis. Erysipelas is one of my least favorite possibilities, especially since it could affect the rest of the farm, as well as us!

Back
Top Bottom