Sneezing!

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All,

A few of my girls are sneezing. I am not sure what this means or what I should do. If it is a respiratory infection I am not sure how to treat it.
All the antibiotics have been taken off the shelves in the stores to make matters worse I have not avian vet near me. I am alone in treating this.

How should I treat my flock?

Thanks

The sneezing could be caused by a number of factors - bacterial, viral, fungal and allergic reactions (among others).

Have you brought any new birds to your flock?
Have you changed the type of coop bedding recently?
Is ventilation in the coop sufficient?

I'm sure that there are other issues that are relevant.

This link may help you - http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I'm sure the ER experts, state-side will be able to help in terms of treatment suggestions.

The sneezing could be caused by a number of factors - bacterial, viral, fungal and allergic reactions (among others).

Have you brought any new birds to your flock?
Have you changed the type of coop bedding recently?
Is ventilation in the coop sufficient?

I'm sure that there are other issues that are relevant.

This link may help you - http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I'm sure the ER experts, state-side will be able to help in terms of treatment suggestions.

nothing new. Now new birds, no new changes to their bedding or feed. Ventilation in coop is good. I will clean the coop really good tomorrow just to rule anything out.

thanks for the link, I will take a look at that.

Last edited:
Hi All,

A few of my girls are sneezing. I am not sure what this means or what I should do. If it is a respiratory infection I am not sure how to treat it.
All the antibiotics have been taken off the shelves in the stores to make matters worse I have not avian vet near me. I am alone in treating this.

How should I treat my flock?

Thanks
How are they doing today?

Sneezing can be caused by a number of things - dusty coop/feed, poor ventilation and respiratory illness just to name a few.

Observe them to see when and how much they are sneezing. Do you only hear/see them sneeze when they eat or right after they eat - this could be they are getting food particle up their nostrils and just blowing out the food.

Do you hear them sneezing at night in the coop only - then giving more ventilation may help.

Sneezing with runny nose (mucous) and/or watery eyes can be an indication of respiratory illness. Depending on the severity of illness, antibiotics may be in order to treat any secondary infections (complications).

You may want to first try something like VetRx which can be found at most Tractor Supply stores. If you feel they need antibiotics, you can use Tylan50. Injectable Tylan 50 dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5 pounds of weight. You can give it orally or as an injection into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep. As far as I know, antibiotics labeled for injection are still on the shelf at TSC - at least they were at mine this week. Water soluble antibiotics (like Tetracycline(s)) have been taken off the shelves.

I hope this helps. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom