Sneezing

Rick&Chris

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Southeast PA (Bucks County)
I noticed yesterday that a couple of my girls were sneezing - and noticed again today. No discharge that I can see. They are 6 weeks old, fully feathered and in the coop with a mama heating pad. I put Quik Chik in their water this morning (vitamins and electrolytes).

Outside terms have been in the 60s until yesterday, windy and in the 50s. 30s at night.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I noticed yesterday that a couple of my girls were sneezing - and noticed again today. No discharge that I can see. They are 6 weeks old, fully feathered and in the coop with a mama heating pad. I put Quik Chik in their water this morning (vitamins and electrolytes).

Outside terms have been in the 60s until yesterday, windy and in the 50s. 30s at night.

Thoughts?
Agrees on the dust theory..
To ID respiratory distress go into coop at night well after dark,
stand quietly and listen closely.

Really no need to give vitamins, and especially electrolytes, all the time, IMO.

Are they using the MHP?

Agrees on the dust theory..
To ID respiratory distress go into coop at night well after dark,
stand quietly and listen closely.

Really no need to give vitamins, and especially electrolytes, all the time, IMO.

Are they using the MHP?

I gave them the Quik Chik when I first got them, at the instruction of Murray McMurray. I stopped last week, but gave them a dose today.

I’ll try to listen to them tonight and see what I can hear. They sit on and near the MHP, not under it. Think I should put heat back inside? I have a little heater that I bought for emergency (pic att’d) that I can put next to their MHP for additional warmth on cold nights. It’s not like a heat lamp, but radiates warmth.

Attachments

• 4E694AEF-BD04-469B-8C89-A598A617C5AB.jpeg
    4E694AEF-BD04-469B-8C89-A598A617C5AB.jpeg
    528.4 KB · Views: 4
Could be respiratory disease as it comes out during stress. Like temp drops. An antibiotic will help with secondary infections but not cure them. I use Oxy Tetra A.
On 6 week old chicks with a bit of sneezing?!?!
What happened to your dry air theory?
I'm thinking is just dryness that's causing them to sneeze. Keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom