Sneezing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by i<3chickens, May 19, 2011.

1. i<3chickens

i<3chickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Ontario---Canada
    I have 7 two week old chicks and have noticed that they are doing a weird sneezing type thing. Is this normal?

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Chickens will sneeze every once in a while which is completely normal. How often are yours sneezing? Do they have a runny nose?

3. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    Mine are sneezing a bunch too... or it just seems like it because there are 28 of them in there. I am interested to see what gets posted, so I am going to tag along on your thread, if you don't mind. [​IMG]

4. i<3chickens

i<3chickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Ontario---Canada
    They just sneeze every once in a a while, no they do not have a runny nose

5. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    My fav. girl is the only one sneezing

6. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    My 5 week old chicks have been doing this since I put them on shavings. They are completely healthy and running around. Like sunny & the 5 egg layers said... runny nose is a sign something could be wrong. Just make sure what you think could be a runny nose isn't from them dipping their beak in their water dish. [​IMG]

7. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    A few of mine got a sneeze.
    Ask your vet and see if he/she can give you anything

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    An occasional sneeze, in the absence of other symptoms is usually not anything to worry about. Chicks are on bedding, bedding gets dusty, they stir it up with their playing, they sneeze. I have a 3 y.o. hen that always manages to stir up dust when she eats. I can tell without even being in the coop when Lilith is eating...it's peck, peck, sneeze. Peck, peck, sneeze.

Humans sneeze to clear their nostrils when tiny fragments of dust get in it. Chickens sneeze for the same reason.

9. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Quote:My chicks sneeze a lot more after eating, too! It's the only time they do it and show a complete absence of any other problems so I figure they must stir up some dust (and then shove their faces in it!) when they eat.

10. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I notice sometimes mine will sneeze after I give them treats and they've scraped their beaks on the ground. It's not often, but once in a while. Kind of a funny noise!

Unless that is frequent, or they seem to be showing other symptoms, I wouldn't worry too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by