Sneezing

viejachula1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
We had a terrible downpour yesterday and while most of the time my new Bantam was dry, she is sneezing today. She also seems like she barely makes a peep when she opens her mouth, though its obvious she is trying. The man who sold her to me said I could bring the chickens back if I had any problems. Should I wait and see if this passes, or take her back? What can I do to help her?

Is she a baby chick or a chicken? Chickens sneeze every now and then and that is normal.

No, she isn't young. She is old enough to lay eggs.I called the seller, and he said it sounds like she has a cold, and offered to take her back. I thought she was a Bantam, but turns out she is a Black Americana Showbird. I really like her, and she is starting to get adjusted, but if she is sick, it is probably better for her to go back where she can get some meds in her to recover. Oh we'll.

First of all, chickens do not get "colds". The seller should know this. However, if she was soaked to the bone, she could get pneumonia. That does happen and is the one time I would be comfortable treating with Tylan50 injections. BUT, since you really don't know if she already had something when you got her (chicken diseases most of the time leave them carriers, like Typhoid Mary, since many are similar to herpes viruses), she could have already been a carrier. In other words, they don't really recover from things like Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD)/Mycoplasmosis or Coryza.

It's a hard call. I would never treat for contagious respiratory disease, but I would treat pneumonia. You'd have to already have had the bird and known her history to know which was the case here. And since most ask at this point what I do for contagions, I would separate the symptomatic bird immediately and cull (euthanize) to save the rest of the flock.

Last edited:
I think I would take her and any others that came from him back, and sanitize my coop since that chicken may have a respiratory disease.

how long have you had her? how often is she sneezing? my birds spractalcy sneeze esp when there eating out of there bowl I think the fine mush dush makes them sneeze they sound like a dog squikey toy lol. Is any other changes with her such as lack of appite, or energy ext?

Back
Top Bottom