Sniff sniff, I became m own predator! :(

monaandthechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 1, 2009
MA.
I have been up and down all winter saving chickens from multiple Hawk attacks, bathing one when she had a prolapsed egg, helping my molting chicken in freezing temps. The other day I looked out the kitchen window and saw yet another huge hawk flying low from the coop. Ugh! I was on my way out to the door to the grocery store so I grabbed my purse and keys and raced out to find the girls. I found 5 nestled in under the honeysuckle next to the shed. I looked high and low for the other 3 girls. Last week they were all the way down the street at the neighbors so I figured they were there. I quickly called my husband in the house to tell him to keep and eye out and got in the car to get to the store. I slowly back up and felt an odd bump. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! the 3 girls were UNDER my car!!!! I ran one over, the one that had molted in December and could not get up to the roost with all the other girls and would shake and shiver all day so I would actually bring her in my house at night!! My 9 year old was home so I had to grab my husband and try and tell him quietly but I could not stop crying. It was AWFUL, truly truly awful. So terrible lesson learned, if your girls free range, check UNDER the car just in case!

hugs.gif
So sorry for your loss!

That's a bummer. Some of our chickens are so docile and slow moving that we often have to make sure they're not under the vehicles and be careful when were driving out. Had a few close calls. Our chickens are so dumb sometimes and they can't sense the danger. Sad.

So sorry - it could happen to anyone but, hopefully your post will make them more careful. YOu sound like one burned out caregiver - be good to yourself please, you need some R & R and alot of hugs.

Thank you everyone!!! I still cannot believe that after me worrying and fretting over the birds losing their lives that I ended up taking one. It makes me sick.
sad.png
sad.png
The poor girl, thinking she was safe hiding from the hawk!!

I am so sorry you had that happen - you are obviously a very caring and responsible chicken keeper.
hugs.gif

My flock ranges freely, too, and they not only meander under my parked car, they run down the drive to greet me if I return home during daylight hours. I have to drive very slowly because of the silly things! Plus, checking under the car when I depart, looking all around when they scatter just a little bit when I start the engine..... All this makes my getting to work - heck, just getting to the drive gate! - a slow, slow progression.

I hate how much I learn through my mistakes and how some of those mistakes cost the lives or safety of some of my flock. You have my sympathy.

Back
Top Bottom