=( *Sniff* *Sniff*

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Delta3013, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Well, just got home from school, went to check on the chickens and in the hen house I found one of my 4 adult hens dead. It was sad, there was no sign of external damage(i checked extensivly) she looked like she had just collapsed on the top roost. My guess is from a heart attack. All of the others are fine and come right up to me so I think it was just her. Any ideas on what else it might of been? Anything would help at this point. Im going to Tractor supply to get some disease preventatives.(Just in case)

2. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like you care for them a whole lot, so I'm sure she had a happy life. Sounds like it could have been a heart attack. How old was she?

3. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    I'm so so so so so so sorry! [​IMG]

4. Delta3013

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    She was a Red Silkie and she would have been two in march.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm so sorry for your loss. It always hurts when we lose a beloved companion animal. It's not "just a chicken" to us.

6. ace6175

ace6175 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    So sorry for your loss! I lost Spock, my BR hen last week almost the same way. She was only 18 months old. I still miss her, and watch my flock anxiously to make sure they are all alright.
    It's such a shock to lose such a young hen without warning.

7. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Sorry for your loss. We lost one of our mutt laying hens earlier in the summer in the same way. She was broody, so we separated her into another enclosure with some eggs. She was doing fine, but a few days later, I came home from work, and just like you, found her laying dead on the ground with no signs of injury. My conclusion was also that she'd had a heart attack.

8. Delta3013

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Quote:Thats what I've been doing, just paranoid that all of them are going to collapse.

9. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    Not easy. I hope the others are going to be alright.

10. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    So very sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by