SNOW IN VA - SHOULD I CLOSE UP THE COOP?

lauralou

Crowing
16 Years
Dec 10, 2007
Central Virginia
It snowed an inch during the half hour I spent out with the chickens this morning. It's about 30 degrees and the wind isn't bad. The weather report says snow till noon, then changing to "wintry mix" with the temp dropping to the mid twenties. I will be home all day to monitor water, etc.

I have 2 coops, each has 3 birds in it. I opened the coop doors, the birds didn't want to come out. (Who could blame them?) They have food and water in the coop. But there is no light in the coop.

Should I close the doors and leave them in the dark? Or will they be fine with the doors open?

Please help! These are my first chickens, and I've only had them a week. They are between 8 and 10 months old, fluffy and well-feathered, Dominiques and BR/Dom crosses.

Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated.

I think they will be just fine inside with door open .......but would be too if closed....I open mine no matter the weather.........if it is blowing freezing wind.......close it for a while. It is 19 here right now and mine are out trying to break the water bowl....... so out I go to help....

Wow! That was fast! Thank you so much for your input Okiechick!

I'm new to this so I worry about everything. I'm already totally in love with my birds, and want to take good care of them.

I so know what you mean........... my chickens had me at BOK........lol.they seem to know where to stay,in or out.most of the time.......... only under majorly extreme wind and cold do I leave mine shut up in the henhouse...... mine all snuggle under the house rather than in it anyway.......enjoy...... and relax......it is really a fun hobby....

I've got my door open but they are smart enough not to come out!
caf.gif

event.png

Back
Top Bottom