snow storm and my chickees?

JerJohnson

Chirping
Nov 26, 2019
Monroe, NY, Schunnemunk Mt.
Hey, this is my 1st snow. My chickens mostly are staying outside, they`re free range. This afternoon, a few hens made it back and seem to be staying inside. I have 25, about 4-5 of them are inside. Maybe because most are young, they`re learning/adjusting? Maybe they like the snow? It`s been snowing for more than 24 hours and it`s still coming down. I`m in Monroe, Hudson Valley, NY. They usually go out at sunrise, and come in at dusk. What is normal? Thx, Jeremiah Johnson at the edge of the wilderness.

Sometimes they are in denial for those first few snowfalls, and sometimes they get afraid to walk on the snow to come back in. Hopefully they came back or you rounded them up. My younger ones are always surprised by the white stuff and the need to stay inside more after having a summer of running free.

Sometimes they are in denial for those first few snowfalls, and sometimes they get afraid to walk on the snow to come back in. Hopefully they came back or you rounded them up. My younger ones are always surprised by the white stuff and the need to stay inside more after having a summer of running free.

ok, this sounds like normal behavior then. By dusk 23 of them were inside, 2 stayed in a tree. This is actually better than the usual 5-6 that have been tree sitting at night since I acquired them. I`m out there before sunrise so they`ll be fine. They appear to be very hearty. Thanks tons. Charlie aka Jeremiah Johnson :jumpy

well, my chickeees all decided to finally camp in the coop last night. First time in 3-4 months since they arrived. Tonight at dusk they were all there again. The weather is rugged here, there`s still ice/snow in the trees. I`m amazed that they worked out their differences as I have too many cocks in the mix. As long as I get there at sunrise, they seem fine. So far so good! thx all

Back
Top Bottom