Snowflake bobwhite quail with birth defect - one eye and beak abnormality (PICS). Anyone else have experience with this?

marrgalo

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2020
Hi everyone! I recently hatched two snowflake bobwhites to keep as housepets. I have four chickens and I am a first-time quail Mom. Imagine my surprise when the first baby to hatch came out with only one eye!! I was worried about brain damage or other issues, but so far the chick seems 100% normal besides looking a little different. Both quails are incredibly sweet and I am so happy to have them as companions.

I have searched the forums pretty exhaustively and haven't found anyone else who has a one-eyed bird (poultry or gamebirds) but I did find a few posts about birds that hatched with no eyes. I wanted to share my experience in case anyone else has one-eyed birds or if this happens to someone else in the future and they want to read about it.

Our one-eyed snowflake is doing great and is growing just as well at the other bird. The beak deformity is becoming more extreme as he gets older, but he is still able to eat and drink like normal.

Anyone else out there with a special needs bird? Stories or advice?
Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_4443.JPG
    IMG_4443.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4386.jpeg
    IMG_4386.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 55
If you either breed too much brother and sister (I’m talking like 6x+ possibly), you’ll get defects like a missing eye, toe, toenail, more

I suspected it may be an issue with inbreeding! I wrote to the seller and informed them of the birth defect so that they can re-examine their breeding practices. Hopefully they make a change and introduce some new genetics into their flock!

I don't know much about bobwhites, but since this is a pet, as long as it's eating and drinking okay, it should be fine. :)

Agreed! We won't breed them (for obvious reasons). We will just enjoy their company as pets! I think the one-eyed look is sweet, anyways. I just hope that he doesn't have any other underlying health issues that I don't know about yet, so fingers crossed!

I have two rescue chickens with missing eyes. One also has a crossed beak. The hatchery couldn't sell them, so they offered to me. If I didn't take them they would've been euthanized! They live happy lives and are some of my best layers.

I also bought a pair of bobwhites, and noticed later that one had a deformed foot with some missing toes. I'm pretty sure the breeder I bought them from inbreeds them. I tried incubating their eggs a few times (along with some california quail eggs. I also bought a pair of californias from them) with no success. One california quail hatched, but grew weak anddied a few days later. Sadly both bobwhites and the female california died for 'no reason'. It makes me very sad that people inbreed their birds, usually for their own convenience.

I would love to get some more bobwhites (I really want some chicks to hand raise!), but I'm in Australia and they're really hard to find. The only breeder around that I know of is the one I originally got them from.

Good luck with your bobwhites!

I have two rescue chickens with missing eyes. One also has a crossed beak. The hatchery couldn't sell them, so they offered to me. If I didn't take them they would've been euthanized! They live happy lives and are some of my best layers.

I also bought a pair of bobwhites, and noticed later that one had a deformed foot with some missing toes. I'm pretty sure the breeder I bought them from inbreeds them. I tried incubating their eggs a few times (along with some california quail eggs. I also bought a pair of californias from them) with no success. One california quail hatched, but grew weak anddied a few days later. Sadly both bobwhites and the female california died for 'no reason'. It makes me very sad that people inbreed their birds, usually for their own convenience.

I would love to get some more bobwhites (I really want some chicks to hand raise!), but I'm in Australia and they're really hard to find. The only breeder around that I know of is the one I originally got them from.

Good luck with your bobwhites!

I'm so sorry to hear about your quails that died! I bet it's more likely get inbred CAQU and NOBO in Australia, considering the difficulty of transporting eggs or animals there. If I ever decided to breed my bobs, I would need to get eggs or adults from a different seller to try to get some fresh genetics in the flock. But snowflake bobwhites are inherently inbred... so I'm hoping these birds don't have the same issues that you had (dying for 'no reason').

I hope that you can figure out a solution for your birds! I live in Utah were CAQU are invasive. We have them all over the city... wish it were easier to grab a couple and send them your way :)

I had one like that that never made it out of the egg. Personally I'm glad it didn't as I'd have to cull it anyhow. But if it's a pet and you're willing to put in extra time, that I think it may have a chance

Back
Top Bottom