Snowy Winter worthy Coops

MandaRae

For the love of 🐓Chickens & Sunflowers 🌻
5 Years
Jan 3, 2019
Pitt County, North Carolina
I am building my own coop. I planned to mostly use pallets & 2x4s. I got corrugated roofing but I think I will put down plywood first then add that on top to help winterize.

I originally wanted to do the hardware cloth floor so the poop fals through but I worry about the cold wind coming up from underneath has anyone used this type of flooring for the coops?
I can't decide on My best noxes. I know I need to do the roll away egg because recently we have had an egg eating problem 😑

Any advice & tips?

I am pretty much just going to wing it lol I have a few sketchs but I have changed it too many times to count.

Another question ground level vs Raised coops. Pros & cons?

Last edited:
I built my own coop. I put plywood down first before the metal roof. My coop base has the following layers: hardware cloth, plywood, insulation (the wind can whip through the open farm fields pretty bad), plywood, then linoleum.
Nesting boxes: I have always used 5 gallon pails. I made my own frame for them but my 16 hens didn't use all 6 nesting pails, they only used 3, so for more space I took out the frame I made and repurposed a four step ladder that the 5 gallon pails fit perfectly through.

I would not advise a wire floor in any climate.
It is hard on their feet and pretty difficult to get grown chicken poop to actually drop through. Broken wires can lead to foot injury as can stuck toes.

If you are building a raised coop (that's the only way I see ever being able to clean under it) wire will allow a big draft.

I have a partial wire floor in my small (5X5) raised coop. It is only under the roost. The chickens do not walk on it. I am much further south than you so drafts are no problem. The wire is 1"X2". I still need to clean it with a deck brush or scrape through stuck chicken poop every three weeks or so. Chicken poop is never going to fall through 1/2" HWC.
IMG_2399.JPG

Last edited:
Okay No wire floor! I am thinking plywood with vinyl flooring. I just need to get to home Depot.

Okay No wire floor! I am thinking plywood with vinyl flooring. I just need to get to home Depot.

Raised and walk-in.
Space underneath(18") for weather shelter....space inside for keeper during nasty winter days.

Back
Top Bottom