So....after they are done laying eggs...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickengalOK, Feb 15, 2013.

1. ChickengalOK

ChickengalOK New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    Hi...I'm new to raising chickens and have a question about what most of you do when your chickens are done laying. I want to keep growing my flock but wonder about keeping the older hens. I will not butcher them myself, so am wondering if there are places out there that you can bring the hens to that will take care of butchering and selling/donating themselves. I don't want the butchered meat back.

Thank you

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I live near an Amish community so I take my older girls to them.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I don't know that you'd be able to find that as most places are going to have stringent laws about the sale of meat. And unfortunately, these days, even giving something away for free (butchered) could result in a lawsuit if someone were to become ill.

You can try selling them for a few dollars on craigslist or just giving them away. If you belong to any groups you can let people know and some may be interested in taking them to butcher (I would if you were near me [​IMG]) Or depending on their age, sell them as laying hens and explain that while they aren't young pullets they will have a bit of time left to them but may not lay as regularly. When I first moved, so I could get eggs ASAP, I bought 2 1.5 yr old white leghorns for $7 each. That was in June and they have each laid an egg a day since then with a few missed here and there but less than a dozen times total.

[​IMG]

4. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

mine are pets first and formost so my small flock when they stop laying eggs will still be with me till there time to go to the rainbow bridge

5. ChickengalOK

ChickengalOK New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    Thank you for your suggestions. I'm in a rural community so I assume there must be farmers here who would take them to butcher andthen they can sell or donate their meat as they desire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by