so annoying!!!

jody78

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
We got started a month ago with raising our backyard flock, we've lived in our house nearly 3 years and I've never seen a cat or any other predator wandering through our 2,000+ sq ft backyard. Until we got chickens. Now everything and their mother is acting like it's the worlds fair and showing up. I spotted a huge striped orange cat, a long hair siamese, magpies, two skunks, and now quite possibly a raccoon that I heard fighting with one of the cats a couple of nights ago. oh, and hawks. What can I do??? This is ridiculous! We live just barely on the outskirts of town

Last edited:
I'd put live animal traps out and try that and watch the racoons. They are really smart. Hawks are my biggest problem. The only answer I have for that is to put a net over the chickens run.

We got started a month ago with raising our backyard flock, we've lived in our house nearly 3 years and I've never seen a cat or any other predator wandering through our 2,000+ sq ft backyard. Until we got chickens. Now everything and their mother is acting like it's the worlds fair and showing up. I spotted a huge striped orange cat, a long hair siamese, magpies, two skunks, and now quite possibly a raccoon that I heard fighting with one of the cats a couple of nights ago. oh, and hawks. What can I do??? This is ridiculous! We live just barely on the outskirts of town

My solution would be to make sure that my chickens have a good, very secure coop to sleep in at night and perhaps a safe run to hang out in during the day when you are not around to watch over them.

And yes, when you bring in a flock of bottom-of-the-food-chain critters such as chickens, those that need to hunt to survive will find your buffet very quickly. You will not possibley be able to trap, kill or otherwise remove every possible threat to your chickens. Best defense = a secure home for your chickens = few or no losses to predators.

My yard became a magnet to wildlife and predators when I added gardens and chickens. I have been trapping everything.Just got another cottontail today(they ate my cherry bush the year I would have gotten cherries!). For hawks mylar ribbons,fishing line,and loud noises.Keep a trap set 24/7. I was thinking of getting another as I saw 4 cats roaming the other morning.

We added a chain link fence 3 years ago around the entire property,and I check on the chickens often during the day. Loss will occur though(even when you are right there),but a little planning can reduce that loss big time.

Oh yes as soon as the chickens come so does everything else. We live in the City and I have had a problem with the opossums going after my girls and the Hawks. Big problem with the hawks, just today my daughter and I were out in the yard, Iet the girls out to roam. Generally I am warned about a Hawk when the crows are going crazy. Not today, I was turning my garden and I hear a ruckus, I look over at the girls and there was a hawk, flew down on the fence and was sitting there. At least my girls are smart, I called and they came running to get into the coop and my daughter and I yelled at the hawk and off it went. The girls stayed under the coop for a while. Guess that hawk was hungry or it didn't see us?

I have found that NiteGuard lights help after the sun is down.
http://www.niteguard.com/
I have heard that CD hung on strings is a good way to keep hawks from attacking. I have a very clear yard, that is no trees or other high perch, and nearest attack point for the hawks is too far away. The chickens go to cover before the attack happens.

Back
Top Bottom