So as they get older they become more detached?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mikecoscia, Aug 8, 2009.

1. mikecoscia

mikecoscia In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    North Haledon, NJ
    As hatchlings and juveniles my call ducklings followed every footstep I made. Loved being picked up and just hung out in my lap. There around 3 months now and pretty much ignore me for the most part, unless I have food...lol.

They still will follow me, but only if something scares them. They run when I try and pick them up to put them back in their hutch. Just wondering if it's normal for them to loose interest in their "mommy" so quickly. I miss always looking down and seeing them sitting on my feet [​IMG].

2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Yep, that's normal. It sucks, but its normal.

They only way they will continue to come up in your lap and allow you to pet them is if they were raised without brothers and sisters and imprinted on you, or at least this is what I've found in my experience raising ducks. Some breeds are just friendlier in general too.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Songster

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yeah, that's normal. The more time you spend with them (and the more treats you give them) the friendlier they will be.

4. mikecoscia

mikecoscia In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    North Haledon, NJ
    Bummer, oh well I wasn't going to hatch out just a single duck. He would have been awfully lonely while I was at work all day. As much as it pains me, I guess they are better off this way...lol.

5. streemers

streemers Songster

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    could always hatch 1 and buy 1. they always do what the other is doing so if it is imprinted with you the store bought should act the same? then your duck will have a buddy [​IMG]

6. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    my little call/mallard hen hen was hatched in the bator, with her 3 siblings.

they were all "DADDY!" from the time they hatched,until they were about 2 weeks old.then they started going through the independant stage, like they would naturally.

by 1 month old Jingo was the only one left, she completely ignores me now, though she does let me pet on her.

it sucks, but enjoy the month of motherhood you have with them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: