So best guess to ID my packing peanuts?

familypendragon

Songster
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
DFW Metroplex in North Texas
These are a couple of the packing peanuts that came with my Meyer order 7 weeks ago.

My best guess based on what breeds they carry is maybe a Golden Spangled Hamburg??

Best guess on this one is Golden Buff

What do you think?

These are a couple of the packing peanuts that came with my Meyer order 7 weeks ago.

My best guess based on what breeds they carry is maybe a Golden Spangled Hamburg??

This is most likely a New Hampshire Red or Rhode Island Red male. If it was a yellow chick, then NHR. Red chick, RIR.

Best guess on this one is Golden Buff

Yes, this looks like a Golden Buff. And if so, it's a pullet. Did you order the Meal Maker? If so, she's probably your Meal Maker chick, not a packing peanut.

What do you think?

I mostly agree with WalkingOnSunshine's ideas. However, I'm pretty sure that your red chick is not a New Hampshire, as it has a rose comb. NHRs have single combs. I think that it is a Golden Penciled Hamburg cockerel.

I mostly agree with WalkingOnSunshine's ideas. However, I'm pretty sure that your red chick is not a New Hampshire, as it has a rose comb. NHRs have single combs. I think that it is a Golden Penciled Hamburg cockerel.
Missed the rose comb!
roll.png

I don't think it's a Hamburg, because it doesn't have the distinctive large white earlobes. Looking at Meyer's chickens, think it could be a Buckeye that has a really poor pea comb?

You can always call Meyer. I've found them to be extremely helpful in the past, with the nicest customer service I've ever experienced. See if you can email the photo to them for them to ID.

Yeah the first one with the slate like legs and the rose comb that looks almost like a horn in person is the one that I was really thinking was unusual. I am guessing since I ordered all rare breeds, and they had to do some substitutions/cancelations they threw in a few odd balls of the ones I'd had to cancel or sub for. They also threw in a buff Brahma which I'd had to cancel because enough didn't hatch. I did get the meal maker so the 2nd one is probably that one.

Missed the rose comb! :rolleyes:

I don't think it's a Hamburg, because it doesn't have the distinctive large white earlobes. Looking at Meyer's chickens, think it could be a Buckeye that has a really poor pea comb?

You can always call Meyer. I've found them to be extremely helpful in the past, with the nicest customer service I've ever experienced. See if you can email the photo to them for them to ID.
Totally agree on the service - its super! Don't the buckeyes have yellow legs rather than slate? This is why I was second guessing everything, LOL!

Missed the rose comb!
roll.png

Maybe it will just take a while for the white earlobes to fully develop--thats how it is with my Dutch Bantams, which also end up having white earlobes. They really only develop pure, obvious white once they 4-6 months of age. Of course, being a hatchery bird, this Hamburg might not ever develop white earlobes. I guess we'll just have to see what it looks like when it grows up!

Maybe it will just take a while for the white earlobes to fully develop--thats how it is with my Dutch Bantams, which also end up having white earlobes. They really only develop pure, obvious white once they 4-6 months of age. Of course, being a hatchery bird, this Hamburg might not ever develop white earlobes. I guess we'll just have to see what it looks like when it grows up!
Yep, you may be right, LOL! I have all these one of a kinds now and don't need them for breeding. Guessing I will sell/trade/gift them at some point but better know what they are supposed to be, LOL!

Back
Top Bottom