So Bummed Out

RouttyChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Carrollton, Va.
Well two years ago i moved to the county of Isle Of Wight Va. Moving from the city and my neighbors having chickens i naturally assumed i could also. So here i go building a Witicha coop and 1/2 way thru i decide to run to Tractor Supply just to look around and educate myself on feed and other misc stuff i would be needing. On the way i decided to call Zoning and just check on the parameters about having back yard chickens. The lady asked for my address and comes back and tells me i am not allowed to have them since i am in a planned community. I was so disappointed and bummed out - all this work for nothing. Well since i had started the coop i decided just to enclose it all and use it as a shed/storage area for all of my other bird (purple martin) supplies.
I am still going to see what hoops i need to just thru but she told me there was no way i could get a variance or any other kind of "exception to policy" waver. How can this be? I am out in the county on 1/2 acre, my property backs up to woods and i can't have chickens. Stupid thing is i could move to Portsmouth, Norfolk, or Va Beach and have them. Go figure.

Thank you everyone for being so helpful during my brief time on the forum and if something should change i will be back.

Call back and ask for the code reference--that way you can double check and make sure her reply was accurate, and you can also look through the code and see what getting a variance would require.

I would recommend that you look in the city ordinances for yourself and see what that has to say. But personally I'd just keep the chickens, it's your land and your home you have the right to do what you want on your own land.

HS Pye

Thank you for you replies. I did just consider getting them since others in the community have them also but didn't want to take the chance. I will call zoning back and double check the code and see if any thing can be done. I did ask about a varience and she told me that since it was a planned community that was not possible but i will double check.

talk to the others around you that have chickens. find out what's going on before stirring the pot! you don't want to ruin it for everyone. you may want to get them like everyone else has. the old saying what they don't know wont hurt them

talk to the others around you that have chickens. find out what's going on before stirring the pot! you don't want to ruin it for everyone. you may want to get them like everyone else has. the old saying what they don't know wont hurt them
Oh even if i can't/don't get them i would not report or hint to zoning that anyone else has them.

Last edited:
Thank you for you replies. I did just consider getting them since others in the community have them also but didn't want to take the chance. I will call zoning back and double check the code and see if any thing can be done. I did ask about a varience and she told me that since it was a planned community that was not possible but i will double check.

Hi... go here for your zoning ordinances:
http://www.co.isle-of-wight.va.us/planning-and-zoning/document-library/zoning-ordinance/
click and open the Zoning Ordinance As Amended as of 031510, it's a pdf document 447 pages.

I looked thru it a little, but without knowing which Zoning District you are located in, I can't point you to the correct page or section. But, based on your original post, I made an assumption that your Zoning District is Planned Development Residential (PD-R). If this is the case, I interpret that you are not allowed to have chickens (go to page 173). The only allowed Agriculture use for this district would be Forestry services. There are, however, several different types of Planned Developments.

In my opinion, your zoning laws are open to lots of varying interpretations. I say this because the entire document states only what IS allowed without reference to what ISN'T allowed. Where I live, my zoning law in residential zones regarding the keeping of chickens is absolute. It states you are required to have a certain size lot (1 acre) and at that point can have up to a certain amount of chickens (32). Under that size lot, you cannot have them, period.

p.s. I have 4 hens and they are illegal!!! I only have 1/3 acre, but have 10+ acres of woods behind me. Neighbors on both sides love my girls and my eggs. I don't advocate doing what I'm doing, just being truthful. Also, our town council is currently considering allowing up to 6 hens (only, no roosters) on lots under 1 acre... I hope to be 'legal' very soon.

Good luck, hope this helps, Helen
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom