SO confused about humidity

tx_dane_mom

Songster
12 Years
Sep 23, 2007
SE Texas
I've read through posts on the search function and nothing seems to answer my questions...How do you guys all know what your humidity is w/o buying a hydrometer, which does NOT come w/the incubator, so it makes me think I don't need one. Someone said something about their 'thermometer told them.' THat really threw me..
I have hatched I don't even know HOW many batches of eggs w/o knowing my % but so many ppl on here are so worried about it's making me freak out a bit. I am in SE Tx, right on the water so humidity is probably always 80-100%, and I put water in my bator initially and then spray the eggs every other day or so towards the end of the hatch.
Figured I'd let the cat out of the bag that I am clueless about THIS part of poultry/fowl....
TIA,
Kristi

To be honest with you, I don't stress to bad over it. I do have one and I keep a check on it but I don't stress. The way I look at it is a momma hen can't adjust the humidity so why worry..... JMHO. Goodluck!

edited for spelling

Last edited:
Thanks about location....and EXACTLY!! If a hen is up in Nebraska, she can't go and 'spritz' her eggs LOL I guess since all my hatches actually hatch, I must not be doing too bad. I'll quit worrying then
smile.png

You are welcome!You seem to be doing pretty good...
wink.png
Chances are with you being near the water your humidity may be a little high, and then you would just have a early hatch. Keep up the good work!!

If your ambient humidity is so high, I wouldn't add any water to the 'bator. We have the opposite problem... it was only 40% humidity yesterday, 30% in the house with the heat on. I have to make sure there's water in there all the time, but as long as it's not condensing in there, it should be ok.
smile.png

Thermometer/Hygrometers are found at Wal-mart in the garden section...They have Accurites and Springfields...from probably 6 to 12 dollars..

You want to try to keep your humidity between 40 to 50% the first 18 days... always told this keeps the chicks from drowning too early...

For the last 3 days I keep mine between 60 to 70% for clean hatches...

This hygrometer test thing has my bloomers completely in a twist.
I bought my first one at Wal-Mart, put it in a bag with the salt, and the % never went above 61.

So, I bought another one just like it and three others (all at Wal-Mart), put them in a bag with the salt and water, and same thing.....well, maybe they all got up to 64.

That's just too far off to just compensate, and they shouldn't ALL be wrong.....I'm pretty confused.

The one I've got in the skillet/bator right now is the Accurite Indoor-Outdoor one, and I'm pretending it's right just because I simply haven't been able to find one that actually has tested right. The one I've got is showing the humidity sticking right at about 39%.....Day 3.

Aargh

Susan

Back
Top Bottom