SO EXCITED! First egg from little girls....

1dog1cat6chicks

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Southwestern PA
I got some Easter Eggers back in February. They are now around 15 weeks old, and today was the first egg!!
First egg.jpg

This is next to one from one of the older girls (either the BO or the BA, probably the BA). It's not really green, not really blue, but I expect that may change slightly upon further laying. Does anyone know for sure? I know the first one(s) are usually smaller, but will the color change some too, as they keep laying?
This was right in the nesting box, exactly where it should be. :) I guess observing the big girls has taught them well!
I am so happy!!

I got some Easter Eggers back in February. They are now around 15 weeks old, and today was the first egg!!
View attachment 2719808

This is next to one from one of the older girls (either the BO or the BA, probably the BA). It's not really green, not really blue, but I expect that may change slightly upon further laying. Does anyone know for sure? I know the first one(s) are usually smaller, but will the color change some too, as they keep laying?
This was right in the nesting box, exactly where it should be. :) I guess observing the big girls has taught them well!
I am so happy!!
The egg color will change slightly during the seasons. After winter once they have gotten a vacation from laying eggs, they tend to lay darker pigments during summer. And they lighten out during the fall. The egg color also seems to be darker the first few times they lay. That may just be with my hens though.

The first egg is always So Exciting! One of my two Easter eggers lays a light green egg; I don't think the color has changed much since she started laying a couple of years ago. But since EE's are such a diverse group, who knows?

A celebration is in order!

Congratulations! It's always exciting to see that first egg!! The color of a hens eggs does not significantly change throughout their life. It usually will fade some with age is all. A chicken that lays a blue egg will not lay a brown egg later. The color will remain pretty constant. Enjoy your new eggs!

15 weeks? I thought that was early?

My chicks are 14 weeks old and I'm not expecting eggs until 10 more weeks. They are the same size (maybe bigger) than my laying hen. Could I expect eggs from them soon?!

15 weeks? I thought that was early?

My chicks are 14 weeks old and I'm not expecting eggs until 10 more weeks. They are the same size (maybe bigger) than my laying hen. Could I expect eggs from them soon?!
I thought it was a bit early too, but they've shown signs--really red combs/wattles; checking out the nest boxes; and even developing in the 'saddle' area.
Our Black Austrolorp started laying VERY late, if I remember it was like a month or two later than what was 'normal' for that breed. She's now four years old and still lays probably 4 or 5 eggs a week!

A chicken that lays a blue egg will not lay a brown egg later. The color will remain pretty constant.
This is very interesting . . . . I got my first egg today! A small egg with a hard shell. I'm confused though because the egg is BLUE!

How did I get a blue egg out of one of my four chickens? . . . a Buff Orp, Silver Wyandotte, Rhode Island Red, and a Sapphire Gem that everyone says is a rooster.

Anybody know what's going on?

Back
Top Bottom