So excited...got my quail eggs! Incubating questions

countrybound

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 18, 2009
I've suddenly forgotten some things now that I actually got them in the mail today!

How long do I let them rest at room temp before putting them in the incubator?

I know they should be at 100.5 degrees, what is the lowest/highest acceptable temps?

40-50% humidity, then up to 60% from day 14 on?

When can I candle them?

18 days for cortunix, stop turning at day 14, right?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi,

Your incubator temperature needs to be 37.5C to have a successful hatch rate. Slightly higher if still air. (sorry I'm not use to working in farrenheit).
You can store the eggs for 24 hours.

You can candle them on day 8, but I don't bother as you can't see through a lot of dark coloured eggs.

Yes, they take 18 days to hatch turned three times per day, I personally stop turning on the 15th day

Ironsun

Hey Ironsun!!
welcome-byc.gif

The temp should be 99.5 degrees, not 100.5. Just keep it around 100 and you'll be fine.

I keep mine at 45-50% humidity during incubation, then up to at least 65% for the hatch.

They can hatch anywhere from day 15 to day 18, depending on the variety (A&M seem to hatch closer to the 15-day mark) and the temps of the incubator (higher temps=earlier hatch, lower temps=later hatch).

I am able to see veins in some of mine around day 3-5, but some of them are just too dark. You can candle them around day 7-ish, and judge by the color of the egg if it is developing or not. If it is, you will see the air sac in the top and the rest of the egg should be pretty dark. Don't toss any until you stop turning on day 14-15, by then any clears are not developing.

Back
Top Bottom