So glad I found BYC's for my injured Guinea questions!!

BlazeInTexas

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2016
Hunt, Texas
Hello to all and so glad I found this website!! I found one of my guinea hens injured about a week ago....since I wasn't there to see what transpired I thought at first she had broken a leg from running into the fencing or got trampled while stuck under the coop ladder...what with our crazy weather and my having only just received the keets in late Sept they are in a small fenced yard (20'x30') with the coop inside, far removed from the highway so I knew it wasn't a traffic issue. She got trampled by the small mob as I tried to get to her but once inside the house I could find no blood just her whole right leg was limp and non-responsive. Having no avian vet in-county (even if I had the money for that!) I decided to isolate her in a small dog cage within the coop but she kept trying to get up using her wing and good foot so I decided to place her in my heated bathroom with food and water with a wee bit of vitamin powder in it. She's eating very well and drinking. She's been relatively quiet except when I'm cleaning her cage and seems to stay in a laying position. I've noticed her flexing her bad leg and that her toes are moving but when she attempts exerting any pressure to walk, it's two or three steps and then out comes the wing until she turns around to flop down once more. Do I splint it and if I do what are the best materials to use? I appreciate any and all help and advise more than y'all know! Happy New Year!

What a wonderfully informative site Lozuufy, thank you! Hopefully with quarantine and a lot of tlc she'll be better sooner rather than later...!

smile.png
Hope she get's better! Could you post a picture of her leg? That might help people see what could be wrong.

It looks normal now but she can't put any weight on it. When I first found her hobbled, her toes were clasped together (not curled) and her leg was totally limp but pulled up slightly. Now it's extended straight with toes splayed but she actually rests the foot a little on the other foot but never applies any weight at all....!

Back
Top Bottom