So how about a Fischer Price Playhouse?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by deenfarm, Jul 25, 2011.

1. deenfarm

deenfarm New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    I am very new to the idea of chickens and as a city dweller space is limited. I have a nice sized fenced garden area in the backyard. We were wondering if modifying a child's plastic playhouse would be possible to use as a coop. It would be easy to move around, easy to clean, and the whole famliy could come if we were to move. The DLM would be a breeze. Does anyone know of any reason this would be a bad idea? The area is shaded throughout the day and predators are few. (Just my spaniel house dog and maybe a coon.) I'm sure we could screen in over the garden since it is somewhat small. I'm very interested to know if anyone has tried this and had positive or negative results. Thanks in advance!

2. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I use an old kids playhouse (the plastic kind) for my EE. I have 4 of them, and it's enough room to roost. I have an enormous run attached though, no way they could live in that little coop all the time. It's easy to move and clean, I like it.

3. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Sounds like a good idea as long as you can close it up tight to keep the maybe coon out. Maybe someone else has some cons to the idea, but to me it seems very cost effective and slightly genius.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by