so how do chickens react to change?

redriding

Songster
Aug 31, 2020
british columbia canada
i’ve had my 4 ISA girls for a year, they have a 11’ x 5’ coop. i’m thinking of moving an interior wall over to gain them about 3’ more room inside their coop. for no other reason really then to expand it and redo their roosts and ladders as a project for me. but i got to thinking... just because i want to do it for “something to do”.... will they like it, or be happy with the change ? so i’m wondering what other people’s opinions/experiences are with altering their chickens familiar and comfortable environment... good idea or bad?

I agree with everyone. They will act a bit strange at first, but I would not really call it stress. Then, they will get used to it in a day or 3 and start to explore. Heck, if you add another waterer or move it and they will act a little strange about it for a bit. What you are going to do is not a bad change.

lol! that’s what i was picturing too... chickens are so funny 😆 they have a hard enough time accepting new treats:)
My Congo African Grey Parrots will wait a week or 2 after I put a new toy in their cage to start tearing it apart.

If I change things around in their care, esp. before bedtime, I put them in and they're VERY aware things aren't how they're used to and are quite hesitant about it.

In the wild, they're prey animals, so ANYTHING that looks out of place is suspect and dealt with cautiously. Gotta love the goofballs.

They will be upset. When we took the high rise roost out they all flipped out. Grumbling like crazy. We took it out prior to getting dark. They liked the high rise to fly to the rafters at the top. Can you just say, bombs away from the high rise when they were laying eggs up in the rafters. They also did this from the lawn equipment side of the coop. Any change they don't like.

They will be upset. When we took the high rise roost out they all flipped out. Grumbling like crazy. We took it out prior to getting dark. They liked the high rise to fly to the rafters at the top. Can you just say, bombs away from the high rise when they were laying eggs up in the rafters. They also did this from the lawn equipment side of the coop. Any change they don't like.
EXCEPT when it's THEIR idea!
Our neighbor's chicken started hanging out with us last summer, we were shocked to find she had roosted in the shed rafters (about 6'3" from the floor) and crapped all over the weed eater below. So she was FINE with THAT change LOL

I agree with everyone. They will act a bit strange at first, but I would not really call it stress. Then, they will get used to it in a day or 3 and start to explore. Heck, if you add another waterer or move it and they will act a little strange about it for a bit. What you are going to do is not a bad change.
it’s funny that you mention the waterer because 1 of mine refused to use the heated water dish i set up for winter 🙄 it was absolutely unacceptable. never did i think chickens could be so particular, but i love them for it lol

Back
Top Bottom