so...how long can eggs be uncovered & still survive?

cricket-cricket

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Had some eggs shipped in special. Incubated them for a while, with some losses - so put them under a broody as soon as she came around. We are 5, count em - FIVE days from hatching. I went down to the coop tonight to feed the rest of the gals and found dumb dumb sitting in the WRONG nest box on a freshly laid egg. I have no idea how long she'd be sitting the wrong nest, but those hatching eggs felt pretty cold to the touch. I realize there's no sure answer here, and I'll candle tonight praying for movement. Just wondered if there was any hope.
sad.png

Quote:
I think there's hope..did you put the eggs back under her, or back to the bator? Just curious.
Let us know what you see tonight.

What is the worse case scenario(when was the last time you saw her on the nest?) I would venture a guess that it would be fine. Even a few hrs up to 5 I wouldn't worry that much about. Even after that, I have known eggs to hatch after being cold for 2 days.

Good luck!

I noticed my broody was off her eggs today. I don't know if that was good or bad though because it had to be at least 104 in the coop.

My eggs should be 37.5 degrees and in lock down when the light globe blew, temp dropped to 22.3 degrees
barnie.gif

I was really upset but left them in there and nothing happened. I gave them till yesterday to hatch and though I should better throw them out, I had just about run out of hope for them.
This morning I have one running around in the bator another half out and another pipped.
wee.gif

i cant believe it, the eggs were just about cold but they still hatched.

GOODLUCK and I hope all yours hatch too.

I don't know what the official statistics are, but I would go ahead & let the hen finish her set, you may have pleasantly surprising results. Why bother them any more by candling, just wait another 5 days, maybe even a bit more to compensate for the cooling.

This is why it's ideal to separate the broody hen into her own quarters, so she doesn't get misdirected on her way back from her coffee breaks.

I received an egg in the mail along with some others with an embryo that was well developed. It survived from Friday to Monday without heat and it hatched.

Back
Top Bottom