so...how long can eggs be uncovered & still survive?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cricket-cricket, Jun 8, 2010.

1. cricket-cricket

cricket-cricket Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2007
    Had some eggs shipped in special. Incubated them for a while, with some losses - so put them under a broody as soon as she came around. We are 5, count em - FIVE days from hatching. I went down to the coop tonight to feed the rest of the gals and found dumb dumb sitting in the WRONG nest box on a freshly laid egg. I have no idea how long she'd be sitting the wrong nest, but those hatching eggs felt pretty cold to the touch. I realize there's no sure answer here, and I'll candle tonight praying for movement. Just wondered if there was any hope. [​IMG]

2. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    [​IMG]

Hope they're OK ....

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:I think there's hope..did you put the eggs back under her, or back to the bator? Just curious.
    Let us know what you see tonight.

4. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    What is the worse case scenario(when was the last time you saw her on the nest?) I would venture a guess that it would be fine. Even a few hrs up to 5 I wouldn't worry that much about. Even after that, I have known eggs to hatch after being cold for 2 days.

Good luck!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I noticed my broody was off her eggs today. I don't know if that was good or bad though because it had to be at least 104 in the coop.

6. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    My eggs should be 37.5 degrees and in lock down when the light globe blew, temp dropped to 22.3 degrees [​IMG]
    I was really upset but left them in there and nothing happened. I gave them till yesterday to hatch and though I should better throw them out, I had just about run out of hope for them.
    This morning I have one running around in the bator another half out and another pipped.[​IMG]

i cant believe it, the eggs were just about cold but they still hatched.

GOODLUCK and I hope all yours hatch too.

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I don't know what the official statistics are, but I would go ahead & let the hen finish her set, you may have pleasantly surprising results. Why bother them any more by candling, just wait another 5 days, maybe even a bit more to compensate for the cooling.

This is why it's ideal to separate the broody hen into her own quarters, so she doesn't get misdirected on her way back from her coffee breaks.

8. Bawk Vader

Bawk Vader Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Belleview, FL (Central)
    Quote:I almost fell out when I saw that temperture. [​IMG] I just caught on that it was Celcius and not Fahrenheit. Whew

9. lizzie159

lizzie159 New Egg

Jun 8, 2010
    I hope every thing goes well!!!!![​IMG]

10. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I received an egg in the mail along with some others with an embryo that was well developed. It survived from Friday to Monday without heat and it hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by