So how old is old??

the Old Rebel

Rest in Peace -2011
12 Years
May 12, 2007
Hendersonville NC
My turkeys will be eight years old this summer. Some people say that is REALLY OLD for a turkey. Does anyone know for sure?? I once heard they could live to be 25 years old. Then someone said "NO WAY!" But someone else told me they can live to be 12 or 13. I'd love to know what the truth really is. Thanks!!

Wow!! THANKS for that info. My birds seem to be in good shape. I'm going to hope for that 12 year (or more) range. I won't know what to do without them on my farm.

Quote:
What is your fertility at 10 years old?
smile.png
And how about showing some pictures of your wonderful turkey flock?
smile.png

Sharon

Quote:
What is your fertility at 10 years old?
smile.png
And how about showing some pictures of your wonderful turkey flock?
smile.png

Sharon

I would like to know the same thing. I wish I owned a 10 year old hen that gave me that many eggs a season or fertile ones at that.

my hens 3 royal palm are all going on 11 years old, these hens still lay every year( well not yet this year) these are the first hens I started with on my farm! last year one laid 86 eggs and the other two laid about 74 eggs each! both young hens laid 90+ each hatch rate starts at about 80% as the weather warms around end of july it drops to about 50 % most lay untill about mid october some don't stop!!(beltsvilles) tom!!!!!!! sold 1,100 poults last year and dozens of hatching eggs if my hens lay 70 eggs each that will be 3,430 eggs and thats 49 hens! welcome to my world!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom