So I am a idiot...

shakecc

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Central OH
Last weekend I proudly finished landscaping some limestone lined flowerbeds around the chicken coop and planted some nice hostas and daylilies. (I am sure you know where this is going) The chickens are in their run and do not have access to the new flowerbed. BUT...I do let the chickens out to free range a couple of hours each day. Well much to my surprise when I went out to put them away yesterday guess what was gone...my new hostas. They ate them right down to a few little sprigs sticking up.
sad.png
Fortuantly they must not have liked the daylilies because they were still intact.

I am still learning to be smarter than my chickens!
lol.png

Quote:
Those chickens were in their roost last night thinking what an awesome mommy you are for planting such great treats for them!!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
Live and learn..just like with kids!!

Its almost a law that what you plant that you want the chickens to get into the LEAST is what they will love the MOST.

Eating daylilies isn't a problem at my house. However WALKING on them is. My poor daylilies are sooo trompled that they're flat.

I only have 3 standards and 1 banty!!
roll.png

I put jade plant I dug up from another part of the yard in the run, since they do not seem to like it. After a few days in there I guess it starting looking pretyy good becuase they have systematically denuded the poor things and are now eating the stems!

Actually, when we first got chickens I actually planted morning glories around the run thinking that would be pretty. It took awhile for me to figure out who was eating the sprouts!
lol.png

Um... are jade plants toxic? (Unicorn?) I know I was warned about several landscaping options regarding kids/dogs, don't know if it applies to chickens. IMHO, you're not an idiot. But your chickens sure are gourmets!

Back
Top Bottom