So I finally merged 2 of my 3 flocks.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cupman, Jan 21, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have been stressing out a little bit about merging my flocks but today I finally did it. I have three groups of chickens. Ten 9 month olds, seven 18 week olds and eight 12 week olds. They didn't hardly fight at all. This one hen kept chasing my other hens around but she was never able to catch them. I think I saw maybe 4 or 5 pecks in the hour I watched them. Now they are all hanging out and grazing together. Was I just really lucky? I've read some awful horror stories about merging.

So my question is: I now have two flocks. 15 and 10. The flock of 10 is 9 hens and 1 rooster. My flock of 15 are all hens. Is there anything I need to be weary of about introducing a rooster to a new group of hens? Will the rooster attack any of the hens or does he know his place as king of the chickens?

Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like you have been blessed.

If they've seen each other, you shouldn't have trouble merging them.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It all depends on the roo. My first roo got into a knock down, drag out fight with several of my older hens when he was introduced to them. My second roo wooed all the ladies individually until they all fell under his spell. Not a bit of fighting. He even convinced my ancient, dominant hen to roost on the roosting bars with him. I have been trying to get that girl to roost for years with no luck.

Nice work on the integrations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by