so i finally tried feeding some raw meat...

Lot of laws have been passed about feeding raw meat to animals. Because of all the danger to the food supply.

Its a fact feeding raw meat to animals that will be butcher for food, have alot of dangers.

Reason you dont hear about it much, if because most have been stopped,because of these laws.

I think this is for feeding meat to animals which aren't supposed to eat it (cows, horses, sheep, etc). Herbivores aren't meant to eat meat, hence all the health issues.

Feeding meat to omnivores is more than fine, it's good for them as it provides a balanced diet.

Bugs and insects are "meat" to chickens
yippiechickie.gif

I know if I feed my chickens a treat of raw or cooked meat within one day the eggs are significantly larger. And what is a bug if not raw meat.

I feed my dogs raw meat. They're older now, at 9 years, and still don't have that 'doggy' smell or bad breath. They only get bathed 2 or 3 times a year. I can pet a much younger dogs and have to go and wash my hands because the smell is ghastly.

Last edited:
Quote:
Here in the State, big problem started when farmer were feeding hogs meat. It is now illegal.

Bad to eat any meat from animals,that have been fed raw meat.

Check with your Health Department.

I looked at catfish food, as a source of animal protien, which seemed to be the main ingredients, but the rest of the ingredient list, read like something out of a medical lab.
This made me wary, about feeding it to the chickens.

Does anyone know about this?

The problem is not the meat, its the RAW part. Some bugs and earthworms are bad to feed also, can be host to parasitic worms.

Reason you shouldnt eat raw pork, they eat mice and rats and etc. raw beef was ok because they dont eat meat, until people started adding it to their feed.

Last edited:
Here in the State, big problem started when farmer were feeding hogs meat. It is now illegal.

Bad to eat any meat from animals,that have been fed raw meat.

Check with your Health Department.

You're probably right but since I am never eating my chickens nor my dogs, this is pretty irrelevant to me...
idunno.gif

Quote:
You're probably right but since I am never eating my chickens nor my dogs, this is pretty irrelevant to me...
idunno.gif

thumbsup.gif

Just read the following at http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_kind_of_food_do_chickens_eat

In their natural setting (like a wild bird) the number one food of a chicken is grass. Second will be bugs that eat grass or bugs that eat other bugs. Third will be anything else including mice and other small critters dead or alive. Everything is fair game for a chicken including grubs and worms. Overall a chicken will eat anything that is edible. Notice that the cured seeds of grasses (such as corn, wheat, rye, oats, etc.) are not a normal staple for chickens. That's because those "foods" are seasonal and only readily available in quantity if man raises them, harvests them, stores them, and then hands them out throughout the year. Man invented grain farming and grain as a food source. Consequently grain is an inappropriate food for all animal life - including people.

Chickens on commercial farms eat commercial chicken feed which is a mixture of grains (mostly corn) and protein feeds. However, for better tasting, nutritionally superior eggs plus happier chickens, chickens should only eat their natural foods and run loose in grassy fields.

What do you guys think??

I find my hens happy and healthy eating layer grains/pellets (plus treats such as fresh fruits, veggies, weeds, grass, some raw meat)... i wouldn't know how to feed them a balanced diet year-round. Jeeez this is hard, LOL!​

Last edited:
I think this is most correct! I know that people come from far and wide to buy my eggs, exclaiming they are the best eggs they've ever eaten. The reason? No one free ranges around here with their private flocks, and the whole county is full of commercial layer operations who give away their culls~for free.
sickbyc.gif

These people have never tasted a superior egg until now!
smile.png
Mild, very little sulfur smell or taste, the whitest whites, the most orange of yolks, huge and pretty.

Back
Top Bottom