1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So I get a call this morning from the post office to pick up my Eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kelseygirl707, May 11, 2009.

1. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Usually they just deliver them to my house, but I don't mind picking them up, lf it means less scrambled eggs.

I get there, go around to the loading dock, and a lady hands me my box and says... and I quote "We get a lot of eggs coming through here, I don't know how anybody every hatches any, we throw these things pretty hard", then she laughs. All I could say is " yes, we usually are lucky to get 50% to hatch, but thats the only way to get the breeds not available locally. We do appreciate calls to pick up though, less time for them to get scrambled on the truck." But it kinda caught me off guard that she admitted to the throwing the boxes around. I hope she just meant that the sorting machines are rough, and not that they actually throw fragile packages around.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ok i think that should say it all i would be calling the local post master!

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Have you ever worked for the PO? A box is just one of a thousand you'll deal with that week. Unless you're the actual carrier taking it from the truck to the house you're really not paying any attention to whats ON the box. And the computers taht sort it, and the people who load them are looking at PILES and PILES of boxes- picking out the ONE box in a million to give special treatment to is just impossible.

I am sure thats what she mean.

4. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    Quote:I agree, and I never worked there.

Jim

5. starryeyes

starryeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Oh i use to sell Dale tiffany stained glass lamps. The post office was the worst about crushing fragile boxs. I ended up using UPS they only broke one lamp out of 100s we shiped all over the world. Try living in Canada my family is in the states and the border realy trashes packages. I just gave up mailing xmas gifts to them now just use online gift cards. I have not bought shipped eggs here from what i have heard people use the bus service here . Good luck I hope your eggs are ok

Starry

6. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:Yes, 3 eggs were broken, but thats ok, I got 30 eggs and only had room for 27, so it worked out perfectly!

And yes I know the PO deals with thousands of packages daily, but they also have a duty to their customer to care for the packages their customer intrust's them with, it's kinda part of the job. And I don't mean any disrespect when I say that, I just believe that if a company is a company that ships packages, then their is a certain amount of care that goes into that. Just like a market has a duty not not sell spoiled food, yes it will happen from time to time, because there is a lot of food to keep and Eye on, but it will happen a lot less if the employees are careful and vigilant.

7. LA~Poulet

LA~Poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    near Lake Charles, LA
    not that they actually throw fragile packages around.

They do, sorry to say. I ship very fragile items regularly, and package them WELL to insure safe arrival. Every side of the Priority Mail box I use is labeled with a big red & white "FRAGILE" sticker. I can't tell you how many times I handed boxes over the counter and watched them get THROWN into the big bin behind the postal clerk.

I ordered chicks this year after being unable to find any locally... I put it off for weeks, I'm just hoping the peeping works better than a fragile sticker for gentle treatment. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    wow I am scared reading this now....

I have to mail pure canadian maple syrup to a friend of mine in Australia. (they pay a fortune for it there)..

I was going to bubble wrap the bottle and then place it in a plastic bag incase it did break. and then place the bag in a box full of packing peanuts (foam peanuts not unwanted roosters [​IMG])

I hope this works [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  9. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Just make sure it's a sturdy jar, and you should be fine, I think you only have to worry about super fragile items.

And on a side note, The rooser Chicks may be better packing, their squishier! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  10. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    i got a box sent to me once. not eggs, but fragile items. box was marked "fragile" all over it. it got to me a week late and when it did, it was just a torn, crushed box. no contents at all. yeah, postal employees take pride in their work....not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by