So I got my first egg yesterday... now what do I do?

Dchicken207

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Maine
I know eat them..lol. But If I want to keep them for a few days should I wash them? put them in the ice box? I got one more this morning, have to say it was worth the wait
big_smile.png

Just treat them like any other egg. If it's not dirty, no need to wash unless you're one of the squeamish types. If you do wash, be sure the water is warmer than the egg. You can put them in the fridge or not, they'll be fresher longer in the fridge but it's not really a must. Just treat them like any other egg though basically.

We keep ours in the fridge and wash them just before using them in order to keep the protective 'bloom' on them.

and congratulations on your first egg!

We just got our first eggs from our Sultans this week and it was 'first egg' all over again...fun!

We don't refrigerate our eggs. Fortunately, our eggs are usually quite clean. We have never really had a problem with that, but I usually just rub them down with a damp towel right before we use them. Enjoy those lovely eggs from your girls!!!!

Thanks for the info folks. One more question today there was two eggs in the nest box so another one has laid her first egg. The egg had some blood on it? is this normal?

We have our 1st 3 eggs... Yay! im new to this and have 2 hens and 1 rooster. the girls just started laying saturday. Very clean off white eggs. havent tried them yet tho.
I have been reading alot of posts and still dont know what is best to do with the eggs... refrigerate or not?

Back
Top Bottom