So I guess our "ameracaunas" are actually EEs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gale65, Jun 19, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We got them from Ideal and they list them as Ameracaunas on the site. But from what I've been reading here and elsewhere it sounds like they are likely Easter Eggers instead? (which is fine-I just wanted some tinted egg layers so my kids could see the colored eggs). Here is one that doesn't have any facial puff at all:
    [​IMG]

and the other two do have facial puffies but they look pretty much alike. Here's a bad pic of one of them:
    [​IMG]

2. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    yes--i'm not expert but with what BYCers have posted to me on here they look like EE's--they are adorable though...[​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, that is all Ideal sells, Easter Eggers. Have seen many of them come through the local feed store, who gets about 5000 birds each year from Ideal. In fact, I have seen no hatchery sell true Ameraucanas yet. Hopefully, that will change some day. Easter Eggers are nice, too, though.

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks! Like I said, I don't mind what they are but this way I can tell people what they really are and not something they aren't. [​IMG] The one on top is Juliet. She's the only chick that's been named so far since she is the only one that is totally unique from all the others.

5. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    I was curious about this too when I got mine. I have 5 EE's, and they didn't really start getting their fluffy cheeks (muffs) until about 8 weeks, so yours may still fill out.. [​IMG]

From what I've gleaned, there is an Amer Poultry Assoc Standard for true Ameracaunas, http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html, but from what I understand, most Ameracaunas sold by big breeders are a cross between an Ameracauna and something else, making it an Easter Egger. I've also read that if it's spelled with an 'i', (Americauna), it's supposedly actually an EE, but I haven't found verification of that... Interested in hearing what others have learned! [​IMG]

Mine are some kinda sweet, and if they had papers, they'd just poop on 'em anyways! [​IMG]

Enjoy!

6. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    The first one has almost exactly my Ameraucanas coloring! Anyways I was told by the breeder that mine was a Ameraucana but they are also called EE because they lay green or blue eggs but either way they are pretty much the same...but some times there is a difference in traits which can be green legs, muffs, or beards...it can vary what they will look like because its hard to get a pure bred Ameraucana their very rare. [​IMG]

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Yes, it's true. Here are my two. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Yep I agree EEs.
    Nichole I have two EEs that could be twins to yours [​IMG]

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    yup got my EE's from Ideal as well. They are GREAT egg layers and always laid blue eggs for me so far. I hear some may lay a brown also. Mine have always laid a blue/green color [​IMG] They are sure pretty [​IMG]

10. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    Awww they very cute EEs! [​IMG] their markings are beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by