So I have a broody sitting on eggs.....any advice?

Yes they are marked. With a pencil, but the pencil numbering is mostly rubbed off from her turning the eggs at this point. Today was the first that extras were with the original 4, so I wasn't too worried....
Sorry for the loss of your friend. That's always hard.

So, day 19 for me and I have 7 of 15 eggs pipping and two have begun to unzip. I can hear active peeping. It's so loud sometimes that the dog runs in to look and starts whining. I had to rush to the feed store to get chick starter and round up my heat lamp and bedding for the newbies. Both of my broodies have quit, so I don't have a hen to put them under as was my plan. The EE may still get on the nest, so I'll try her if at all possible, but it looks like these will be brooder raised, then moved outside when they've got enough feathers.

I didn't expect this much activity on day 19! I started the count at 0 on the first day, so today is definitely day 19. Stormy weather coming! I hope we don't lose power.

Sorry for the loss of your friend. That's always hard.

So, day 19 for me and I have 7 of 15 eggs pipping and two have begun to unzip. I can hear active peeping. It's so loud sometimes that the dog runs in to look and starts whining. I had to rush to the feed store to get chick starter and round up my heat lamp and bedding for the newbies. Both of my broodies have quit, so I don't have a hen to put them under as was my plan. The EE may still get on the nest, so I'll try her if at all possible, but it looks like these will be brooder raised, then moved outside when they've got enough feathers.

I didn't expect this much activity on day 19! I started the count at 0 on the first day, so today is definitely day 19. Stormy weather coming! I hope we don't lose power.

One has completely hatched! It's one of the EE eggs. Four others are zipping now. All seems to be going well.

Update time! We have 3 baby chicks peeping away happily. Broody momma is doing nicely. 1 egg left that I suspect is a dud, I will give it another day or so..... I moved momma, the 3 Littles and the remaining egg down into the Rubbermaid container and secured the front with one of my constructed panic room panels.

Another update. 1 chick survived the first night. It is Day 4 now, it appears from wing feathering that it is a pullet.
20180421_144433.jpg

Are they a breed that you can wing sex?
Did you find those other missing chicks?
Good question. The answer is I don't know! :confused: :barnie
The other answer is....nope, nothing. I don't think they made the first night, and the others (or momma) disposed of them to prevent predation? The baby is eating and drinking, follows momma to the feed dish and the waterer. So cute!

Such fun to watch mama with chick(s)!
Guess you'll have to wait for 6 weeks to find out chicks gender.

I have a sexlinked cross this year, BCM x CCL, so knew gender at hatch,
which is cool, kinda,
but just early disappointment in this case as there were 3 males and 1 female. :(

My broody chicks are now 5 weeks old. Mama came back into lay a couple days ago and last night went back to the roost leaving the chicks to sleep alone in the auxiliary nest.
'Little Girl' is starting to grow her head crest.
upload_2018-4-21_18-1-57.png

This is my 1st broody hen. She is on day 19. I have her separated from flock, but she's in a large, deep basket. The babies will nof be able to get in and out. Should I move her and eggs to a different basket now before they hatch?

Back
Top Bottom