So I have a broody sitting on eggs.....any advice?

Pics
Here is the next in what is sure to be a long line of frivolous updates! Day 6 and I think I was able to finally get a decent wing pic (after 2 days of attempts).
20180423_140550.jpg

What do you think? Still hoping for a pullet of course!

Well it's been almost another week, time for an update on the surviving baby chick! Tail feathers are really popping out, and there has been a doubling in size. The other flock members don't even pay any attention to the chick at all. It hops and flits around cheeping and peeping all the time. Mom was hopping up to the platform to exit the coop today, so it might not be long before she takes the chick outside, then a WHOLE host of new problems can develop!

I guess I foreshadowed this yesterday, but a momentous occasion just happened! Momma took the baby outside! This baby is 2 weeks old! I almost messed myself when I kept hearing the peep peep peep! Baby followed momma right back up the ramp like a champ. I wish I would have had video'd that! A pic will have to do!
20180501_182131.jpg

Bringing them out is one thing, so cool, taking them back in can make you dance!!

My first broody did NOT bring them back in after their first foray outside.
She was in her nest with half the chicks and the rest were outside screaming.
This was before I had HC on run, tried to catch chicks so they scooted thru run fencing.
Finally brought portable floor nest outside into run, covering opening to keep mama and chicks in there, then rest of chicks went in nest, I covered again and brought inside, SMH. She didn't take them out for another 2-3 days, that time they all went back in on their own.
Second broody didn't have that problem, thank goodness, I danced!

In a week or so the brooder chicks will take their first trip outside into their 'private' run.
Then we'll do 'ramp training'.
upload_2018-5-1_19-52-31.png
Might need the battery puck light inside to get them back in at dusk.....
...or use the Chick Corner Corral to capture them.
Short side is hinged, herd 'em into the corner and close the gate.
upload_2018-5-1_19-54-16.png

Back
Top Bottom