So I have my first baby pigeon hatchling

I will not have her hand feed them. She doesn’t know how although she would be capable. I have hand fed, although cockatiels not doves or pigeons, but I have that leisure. She works a lot. I would wait til I felt they were ready to leave and I was confident they would be ok on their own. This in itself will be difficult for me as I have never parted with fledglings. :duc

I am familiar with bird fanciers lung I just question the results. The pulmonologist insisted that birds carry aspergillosis however they are not carriers unless they are sick with it and my research says it isn’t contagious from the sick bird. They get it the same as we do. Bri tested positive for two molds aspergillosis and another id have to look up. According to the cdc these two molds are from the environment such as barns, moldy hay, leaves, air, not directly from birds. She didn’t test positive for bird proteins.

Here is the kicker - we had guinea pigs and degu at the time and we were buying bales of hay from a farmer. The May smelled moldy to me but I thought it was in my head so we kept buying it.
The birds and rodents were in the house and SO WAS THE HAY. To me it says let’s look at this situation again. Hay in house for about a year. Kid gets sick. Birds have been owned with child since child was quite young. (the doves were newer and the quantity was more admittedly).

I guess I should let it go but it is something I really question and it makes me mad even now that they acted like I was stupid. One of the nurses said they wouldn’t negate the birds as the cause unless I took every one of them in for aspergillosis testing and proved it wasn’t them.
If the birds had aspergillosis you would have known as the birds would be sick. It does sound like the hay could be a more likely suspect. If it smells mouldy, it probably is!

If the birds had aspergillosis you would have known as the birds would be sick. It does sound like the hay could be a more likely suspect. If it smells mouldy, it probably is!
Exactly, right? My husband as sweet as he is, sides with the doc because DOCTOR. It’s been frustrating dealing with him making my birds out to be the enemy and me to be selfish. I will never win this battle unfortunately but I do appreciate people that understand! :love
Have I said I really like it here?

I wish my yard was bigger so I could figure out a loft design I could afford and put up for the doves or pigeons or divide for both. You all are making me want ornamental pigeons. Haha

Exactly, right? My husband as sweet as he is, sides with the doc because DOCTOR. It’s been frustrating dealing with him making my birds out to be the enemy and me to be selfish. I will never win this battle unfortunately but I do appreciate people that understand! :love
Have I said I really like it here?

I wish my yard was bigger so I could figure out a loft design I could afford and put up for the doves or pigeons or divide for both. You all are making me want ornamental pigeons. Haha
I'm still trying to persuade my missus to sell a few rabbits so that I can make a bigger loft! Have you seen the archangel pigeons? I absolutely LOVE them!

I have fortunately been able to move my squabs several times, without any negative impacts. I can't say that is always the pigeon parent behavior, but at least for me, I would say I've been fortunate. I move them because either the original nest gets all pooped up after a few weeks, or in one case, I had to change the location from a less protected nest to a better protected one (because when the parents began sitting on the eggs, they had chosen a less than well-protected spot since I didn't have the nesting area ready yet).

I have fortunately been able to move my squabs several times, without any negative impacts. I can't say that is always the pigeon parent behavior, but at least for me, I would say I've been fortunate. I move them because either the original nest gets all pooped up after a few weeks, or in one case, I had to change the location from a less protected nest to a better protected one (because when the parents began sitting on the eggs, they had chosen a less than well-protected spot since I didn't have the nesting area ready yet).
Same way in my loft, no prob cleaning and or moving nests.:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom