So I just got back from the swap with my impulse buy..which I never do

Quote:
Well, the blue, blue water was short-lived
tongue.png
I thought the breeder said they were two months old? The female still has some gray down feathering on her back. The male is already developing some sebbie curlies on his back.

They follow me around the yard and hang at the back door til someone comes out. They are both extremely friendly and let me walk over and pick them up. I think I got a pretty good deal at $40 for the pair... if they are indeed a pair.

Now, what to feed them! Im heading out to TSC right now to ask someone. I've tried feeding them some bread and blueberries but they're only interested in the grass. They have been skimming the pool of any drowned insects. ..I wonder if I can toss some feeder fish in the pool??

Right now they are sleeping in a metal crate with a heavy layer of straw on the bottom and a towel for a roof
sad.png
I am pretty much stuff at what to do... maybe like a dog house looking coop with a little a-frame roof and a dirt floor with straw???

Last edited:
I think dog houses, especially ones with a door are perfect. Check your craigslist or classifides. The biggest thing is you want to be able to lock them up at night to protect them. As far as feed, they love to graze the grass, and will eat veggies. If you can find a waterfowl food that would be perfect. If not, try to find a feed with no more then 16% protien.

Yes, I agree, dog houses with lockable doors are best. Your geese are beautiful! I'm so happy for you!What a deal!!!

Please do lock them up at night...they are such little treasures...they need to be protected from coons, etc. Check with the people at TSC or a local feed store. Sometimes you can find people who custom build "dog houses" through feed stores. That's where I get mine. They are large with a removeable roof and a lockable door. The roof is slanted and is shingled - I just add a ramp and it's perfect for my geese!

Congrats at your adorable new additions! They are so sweet!

Awesome deal @ $40 for the pair. I only seem to see them for $50-$100 a piece around here. Too expensive for me!

A dog house is a great idea!! I'll keep my eyes peeled. They are in my flower garden now which has a picket fence the entire way around it. And the pickets are tight together so Im not too worried about them for now. They haven't munched my flowers YET. Im very happy about that... just my morning glories so far.

The TSC told me to put them on chick starter crumbles and just give them some before bed time. I have some oyster shell out there for them but they are loving my vegetable garden.... especially my kale. We are so inendated at the moment that I don't mind at all.

I guess they are so personable because he handled them frequently and they are still young. I have an easier time catching them than any of my cochins. And they just stand there for my son to pet them.

Hubby about had a heart attack when I opened up the hatch door of my truck and he saw those things
ep.gif
I originally told him I just wanted a trio of cochins for eating eggs
gig.gif
But, I caught him hanging with them this morning and breaking off bites of kale for them
hugs.gif
awe... he love them
smile.png

Chick starter has too much protein for them! Sorry but TSC will sell you anything. You need to get either Purina Duck Grower or Mazuri Maintenance for them.

Purina Duck Grower has 16% protein. Mazuri has 14% and you should add 10% good quality cat food to it.

You don't want anything over 16% or they can end up with angel wing.

I agree that you got a great deal @ $40 a pair. I paid $40 for my Prince Peter. Honestly though, I would have paid double that for him.

Laurie

Thanks so much, TT. I've been reading about the protein levels and that too much is bad for them.. just didin't know why. What is angel wing??

I'll head out to Gower's Feed (a smaller but better feed store the next town over) and hunt there... and cat food? like purina?

Thanks a bunch. I definitely need to do a bit of research on these guys.

And, I just read a post where some sebbies are curly and some are not. Im not sure how old mine are. I know they are only two weeks older than the other ones he had and all of the other ones were still very downy and had a ton of gray.

maybe there is still time
fl.gif
?

Quote:
They look like they'll be smooth chested by looking at their shoulders. Cottage Rose told me that if the shoulders have light floofy, airy feathers that don't really lay flat that they'll be curly chested. Smooth chested birds have regular feathers that lay flat just like any other goose in that area. So far has proven true in my birds. They look like they're old enough to tell that way but I could be wrong.

I'm surprised that the seller didn't inform you of this smooth sebbie, curly sebbie thing, I would have. One looks to be curling on the back sort of like a sebbie should, the other doesn't look like it's doing much of anything with it's feathering...on mine (and that's all I have hands on experience with) as soon as the feathers started coming in on their backs they were floppy and sebbie like. These look to be at least 2 months old as they are more developed then my 7 week old white male.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom