So I thought I'd give them a good treat..

Cocotte

Songster
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
I chopped the ends off of a watermelon and put it in the run with my chickens thinking they would love it...and they won't even taste it! I don't think they realize it is food
sad.png

Once they realize what it is, they will love it..I hope. Mine do. They eat it right down to the rind. They also love it when I hull strawberries and give them the soft ones.

I figured once the realize its food they'll love it. I guess I'll just keep giving it to them until the do
smile.png
So far I haven't had any luck with treats except for rolled oats.

Mine LOVE chopped grapes -- when I want them to try something new I add it to the chopped grapes. Sometimes they like the new food (strawberries) and sometimes they don't (peas). It's fun watching them lose their little minds over their treats. Chop up some watermelon and mix it in the with oatmeal and see what they do.

Jenny

I have the same issue with corn on the cob. Seems they don't have a clue it's food, but my grey does so it didn't go to waste
wink.png
Maybe next time I'll have him eat one where the chics can see and maybe catch on. Otherwise more corn cob for him!

too funny. I have one set of hens that will eat anything I throw in there, and one set that looks at it like..whoa buddy, where did you get that idea from...:)

was the watermelon orange i find mine wont eat anything orange,used to offer them cooked carrots wont touch them, they love yellow melon and also fond of apples, and also tomatoes cut in half so they can get to the seeds but i think their all time favourite is baby gem lettuce hung from a piece of string in their run that would be demolished in minutes

D'Angelo N Va. :

too funny. I have one set of hens that will eat anything I throw in there, and one set that looks at it like..whoa buddy, where did you get that idea from...:)

yuckyuck.gif
Mine are like that too
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom