So I went to buy ONE, and....

92Pony

Songster
13 Years
Mar 1, 2010
South Carolina
...came home with 4 more! I went on Monday to buy a roo, and the lady who was selling him said she had 4 chicks that needed a home for free if I wanted them. We all know how dang cute and irresistible they are, so.......
big_smile.png

49994_img_1554.jpg

49994_img_1546.jpg

49994_img_1545.jpg

49994_img_1544.jpg

I think she said that these were hatched by a game hen. Anyone think they could be game/Araucana crosses?

And here's the roo I got (maybe the Dad?);

49994_img_1548.jpg

Wade

Last edited:
BTW, those pics of them in the food scoop were in the first 5min they were in the brooder box. I shortly thereafter got a little feeder in there - they've adopted that scoop as their sleeping quarters - LOL!

Beautiful rooster, but he's not an Araucana. And super cute chicks!
smile.png

(Araucanas don't have tails or beards or gray legs)

Disagree about the roo not being an Araucana. There are 2 types - one is rumpless (no tails) and more common in America, where the Standard is rumpless. The other type have tails and tufts on the ears and chin, the females also have tufts on the top of their heads. This type is more common in UK and is the Standard here. But both types are available in both countries.

I had a very handsome Lavender Araucana rooster and still have his two lovely sisters, all acquired as eggs from a prize-winning breeder. All 3 have tails.

Your chicks are adorable!

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

Disagree about the roo not being an Araucana. There are 2 types - one is rumpless (no tails) and more common in America, where the Standard is rumpless. The other type have tails and tufts on the ears and chin, the females also have tufts on the top of their heads. This type is more common in UK and is the Standard here. But both types are available in both countries.

I had a very handsome Lavender Araucana rooster and still have his two lovely sisters, all acquired as eggs from a prize-winning breeder. All 3 have tails.

Since she is located in the US I very much doubt that is the case. It looks a lot like my EE roo but may be an Americauna. Very beautiful boy none the less. Congrats on the chicks too!​

suki'smom :

Since she is located in the US I very much doubt that is the case. It looks a lot like my EE roo but may be an Americauna. Very beautiful boy none the less. Congrats on the chicks too!​

She may very-well have told me Americauna - With as often as those terms are thrown around/interchanged, I stay confused about it myself. He actually has tail feathers coming back in (you can see them when holding him close).

Does it make more sense that he's an Americauna? She said his parents were both a hatchery. In the end though, it doesn't matter to me - I do think he's a pretty handsome fella.
cool.png

Thanks,

Wade​

Last edited:
Not an Ameraucana either. It's a common thing people are misinformed about. Hatcheries only sell "Easter Eggers" (not an actual breed but they can lay blue eggs) and put false claim of them being purebred Ameraucanas or Araucanas, which sadly leads to the customers saying the same.

Ameraucanas don't come in that color. He's an Easter Egger.

But you're 100% right, it doesn't matter too much as long as you love him
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom