So if I'm a roo, what kind? ... was Gender Bender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by riverscape1, Jun 26, 2011.

1. riverscape1

riverscape1 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Hi ya'll,
    My name is Peppy or Pepe' for those of the French persuasion.

My adopted chick'nmama always told me that I'm a Black Star or Black Sex Link pullet. When her friend who attended my hatching saw us, she thought that's what my little family was. So my mom looked and looked at all of the pictures on BYC and Feathersite and googled for images of my female relatives to see what I'd be when I grew up. Now, that was only 9 weeks ago today. My mom thought she had me all figured out and squared away. She was busy adjusting to the idea that my coop mate began crowing at the age of 3 weeks old. Sure enuf, I started filling out with a pretty russet patterned camisole and iridescent black tail coat for my best outfit.

See my pretty dress.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course I did get my comb and wattles pretty fast compared to the other babes she admires on BYC but she assured me that I am an "early developer" because I'm going to be big into production in my future (she sure is hopeful). [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then again, mom's always seemed concerned over the size of my feet, she thinks that I'll never be able to find cute shoes in a size 12! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only now, I've developed an interest in singing duets with my coop mate at sunrise and my cockle-doodle-doo is deeper that his! I sure hope this little bird is going to "man up" since it's seems that this is an arranged marriage that I can't escape from. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just don't know which way to lean... can someone help me (and her) out? Mom's afraid that I won't know which door to choose - the one that says "men" or the one that says whoa "men". [​IMG]

Edited later to add:
    So , if I'm a cockeral. What kind? I thought black sex link roosters reverted to the barred rock pattern. Can the roos look like this? As a chick this one was solid black (except for the fuzzy yellow butt) and had hatchmates that were black with a white spot on their heads.

What do you think?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pepe, you're darlin'. Does it really matter that you prefer tuxes over dresses???

- Kim

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Pepe, it looks like your tuxedo is going to have deep red tails. It sure looks like you've got some deep, dark, red pointy saddle feathers coming in.

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    heehee what a cute post, Pepe!

I recommend a nice red tie with your tuxedo! And tell your mother that if she wants babies, she might have to re-think your arranged marriage.

5. riverscape1

riverscape1 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Thanks for the encouraging me to come out guys! (Mom says "NOT!")

Now she's wondering what to do with two "pet" roosters and no hens. Maybe this is chicken math.

My post is updated to ask what kind of chicken I might be.

6. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    Wow! Hes beautiful!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by